Oooohhhhhhh, Finneas. How do I even begin to package him up with words? How could I ever possibly smoosh him that small, when even his whole body isn't enough to adequately contain him? I will do my best, but it won't be enough.
This boy is a force. He embraces every single thing in his life with reckless, screaming-breathless abandon. He has never once, to my knowledge, experienced anything remotely resembling neutrality on any topic. He loves hard, plays hard, feels hard, cries hard, laughs hard.
He has my entire heart in his hands, and if he's not careful with it, he'll likely squeeze it tight enough to give me a heart attack. He has this incredible ability to simultaneously make me want to rip out all my hair, and also give him anything he'd ever ask for just to show him how extravagantly I love him. (Nothing could be enough to show him.) He stirs up in me raw, aching affection, and I love him for that.
Finneas has taught me so much about passion, and about patience. He has taught me to have faith. At the very moment each day (each hour) that I get ready to chuck him out a window, I am reminded to see past what is in front of me, and to become aware, yet again, of the greatness that lives in him. I really believe, deep in the core of who I am, that he is a world-changer. He is a future great man in a wild little boy's body. He will one day rip scepters from the fists of despots. Nothing will stop him, nothing will hold him, nothing will scare him. He is greatness.
Finneas was named after Phinehas in the Bible - a warrior priest. His name means 'zealous.' He is everything we hoped for him - he is blue fire, and I pray constantly that we would be the kind of parents who can be entrusted to stoke well something so dangerous and consuming and valuable.
Darlin', you have been so good for me. I love you so much it hurts. One day God will reveal his amazing, specific, high purposes for your life, and when he does, I am excited to watch you seize your calling with an unrelenting, white-hot grasp. I am honored to have held your greatness, to have gotten to be your mom.

2 comments :
this is so well said. just spot on. amen and amen.
may God grant us the courage and faith to have courageous and faithful children!!!
Our “Finneas” just got married. I cried a lot, because Nate had very similar characteristics to your Finneas. Nate loves Jesus fiercely and his new wife as well. In May they are moving to KC where he will study to be a pastor. On those days that you want to chuck your sweet Finneas out the window, think about how God will use his fierceness to glorify our great God! Love you so much, Paige! Thanks for sharing this!!!
Post a Comment