I have a lot of dumb pet peeves, I can tell you that right now. It really would behoove me to let go of them, because they serve no purpose other than to make me unreasonably grouchy, and it's not like I need more excuses in this life to walk around rolling my eyes. However, living loses some of its spiciness if you like everything, I guess, so I'm holding tight to my petty annoyances. Viva la pet peeve, that's what I say.
But how unsatisfying is a good annoyance if there's no one to share it with? Super unsatisfying. Annoyances must be shared in order to reach their full potential and earn their wings. That's just science. So prepare to roll your eyes along with me today as I share Petty Annoyance #1 (of many): Food That Used to be Hot, but That Has Gone Cold.
Usually it's just food that I personally cook that annoys me most. I spend so much time cooking, but by the time it's dished out onto plates, and everyone assembles at the table, and all the various active squabbles are settled, and prayers are said... all the food is ice cold. Why go to all the hassle of cooking anything at all if it's reverted back to its raw state by the time I get it in my mouth, that's what I'd like to know.
Ooooh, honey. I'm getting mad just thinking about it.
Vegetables are the worst, am I right? They just turn to flavorless, pasty mush. Pinterest can try and convince me to Roast!, or Saute!, or Add Bacon!, but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what kind of adventure and excitement that vegetable saw on its journey to my plate; a cold, cooked vegetable can't redeem itself by having some bacon bits on top, or telling me colorful stories of the 45 minutes it spent in the roasting pan getting handsy with the garlic. I imagine I know how People Magazine feels about the other four members of NSync. Like, "Cool stories and all, guys, but you realize you're not young and relevant anymore, right? Let's let bygones be bygones." (I'm looking at you, JC.) Like, I have no desire to rehash the past in order to justify your leathery presence in my life at the moment.
I would, however, like to take a moment to introduce a ray of sunshine into this superfluous tirade (because I'm nothing if not an eternal optimist) and really commend cooked rice for its ability to do its one job in life: to act like it's been cooked. I don't know what kind of street learnin' rice had to go through to grasp that difficult lesson, but I would like for it to shoot asparagus a few pointers.
To sum up, my life is very hard, as I think you can see. Not only do I have to live in a world where I'm eating cold food so consistently that it makes The List, but I also have to rehash it over and over again in my mind until I take the only reasonable course of action: blogging about it. But I do feel better now that I've gotten it off my chest, and my eye-rolling muscles have been stretched and strengthened to meet the day ahead of me, so I'm glad I took this opportunity. I will have to make this a regular segment on the blog, because the Good Lord Almighty knows I have pah-lenty of grist for that particular mill.
2 comments :
i wonder how cold 98 degrees are by now? they've been out of the microwave for a while now. :)
My husband also really appreciates hot food so when I dish up all the kids I stop and keep his and usually mine hot/covered/in the pan/etc so that our meal stays as hot as possible. Usually it works well but if not, reheat in the microwave or die to our entitlement of hot food and just be thankful we have it at all! I realize that once the kids get older and we can pass dishes around the table, this problem will change but I suppose a new one will arrive :)
Post a Comment