Pages

weekly what's up.

Last weekend, we headed to Iowa to celebrate Callista's first birthday at my mom's.  Not only did we party hearty like you can truly only party with a baby, but we also spent a lot of time outside enjoying nature.  And by 'nature,' I mean a kiddie pool and some whiffle ball.

At first, Rocco was not totally convinced he liked the pool.  He was subtle about it, though.




Don't feel too badly for him, though.  He did eventually come around; literally, the very next photo on the camera card looked like this:



The rest of the kids were sold on the pool from Minute One:




While everyone else was splashing around, Rocco posed for some swim-diaper-glamour-shots.



The only reason I put him in a swim diaper is because he doesn't have any trunks that fit - he has been doing so well with potty training, he even asks to come inside to go potty while he's swimming.  No peeing in the pool for this guy, so no true need for the diaper.  Plus, on a related note, he has already figured out how to stay dry while he's sleeping (even all night), which I never push or expect from kiddos this young.  He just decided he was done peeing himself, I guess, which I can't complain about.

Finneas didn't want to get left out of the glamour-shot action.



Also?  He's well on his way to being a major league baseballer.




Penelope is also on her way to the big leagues.




We came home on Sunday, and basically stayed in a travel coma for a day and a half.  Then, once everyone was feeling better, everyone started feeling worse.  Namely, Laurelai and Rocco caught the weird bug that has been sloooooooooooowly making its way through all the kids.  Atticus and Penelope got it a few weeks ago - a 48-hour headache with a fever, nausea and a sore throat.  Finneas got it about a week later, and now these two.  Laurelai spent most of Tuesday asleep, whereas Rocco spent most of Tuesday awake and whining incessantly.

Wednesday, Todd was home and we had a sparkler-less Fourth of July.  As I had blogged about it here, our friends Ana and Nathan, who came over last night, knew our plight and came bearing fireworks!  "Better friends nary a man e'er had."  (That's not from anything; I just felt like being weird for a second.)



My hair was not nearly as close to this sparkler as the photo would make it seem.  No need for corrective comments, thanks.





Here's a colorful tidbit: the air conditioner in our van doesn't work, so when I hauled the kids out yesterday in the 103-degree heat, it was a bit roasty.  But it was worth it, because we were headed to the DMV, and now I'm a card-carrying, registered-to-vote-here, official resident of this great state.  It feels good.  It feels really good.  I do have to warn you, though, that it may mean that have to start listening to country music and/or Pearl Jam like my life depends on it, because judging by radio airtime, it seems pretty necessary to existence around here.  I don't know which one is better.  Or worse.  (Tar and feather me if you will; I've always hated Pearl Jam.  Nothing personal, and there's nothing wrong with them or anything, it's just that that guy's voice makes me want to outright die is all.)

And last but not least, Todd brought home a huge roll of paper one day, and the kids have had a blast having their full bodies traced, and then coloring themselves in.  This self-portrait by Finneas CRACKS ME UP.  You tell me this doesn't look exactly like him, and I'll punch you in your lying mouth.



All he needs is tank top sleeves and a gap-toothed grin.

In all, this week included fireworks, pool time, and a brand new driver's license photo in which I don't look swollen and cross-eyed.  That's a pretty darn good stretch of summer right there.

3 comments :

todd said...

"i'll punch you in your lying mouth."

that kind of banter keeps me coming back daily.

brilliant.

the jersk. said...

HWAT? Pearl Jam is amazing. now who’s gonna her punched in there lying mouth!?

but to be fair.... I’m not a counting crows fan. so.

are we still besties?

Paige at The Minivan Voorsts said...

I... guess... so. *she said begrudgingly.* ...as long as I can still pretend you like Counting Crows. Because that's a dealbreaker, ladies.