Let me tell you, it was weirdly stressful getting them all settled into their classes. I'd drop one kid off at their class, and be on the way to taking the next kid to their class, when I'd turn around and Kid 1 was right back on my heels, telling me why they didn't want to go. I was kind of a spectacle the entire morning as I schlepped the stroller from one class station to the next and back again just trying to get everyone situated where they belonged.
But by the end of it, they all seemed to have found their groove.
While Laurelai did eventually get in, she basically Koala-Baby'd her teacher the whole time, which I'm sure was conducive to the teaching process.
Penelope is an apprehensive swimmer, and has struggled finding the confidence to progress. She was moved back down to her previous level today, and immediately took on the challenge of learning to tread water. I'm proud of her for learning at her own pace, and grateful her teacher was willing to make the decision to move her sooner rather than later.
Even though Rocco just cheers from the sidelines, he likes to look like he plays the game. He could barely open his eyes in the goggles, but he refused to take them off.
Now that our first day is in the books, I'm confident the kids are going to have a blast - though I still covet your prayers for traveling mercies, as I have a feeling most of my mornings will be spent shuffling from class to class to log audience time for each kid. It's a rough life I lead.






3 comments :
I think it is hard and wise to not pressure our children to progress as we want them to and maybe feel that they are capable of rather than letting them kind of set the pace and being okay with that. In school yesterday, which I think learning any new skill is school, I kept having to remind myself to not get frustrated with one child because this was for them and not for me and so my goal was to encourage her and not just feel good about myself when the lesson was over, if that makes sense. You would think that would be such a natural place to teach from, but it is definitely not for me! One of the many lessons I'm learning along the way as we teach our children! So I'm encouraged for your sake and the daughter you mentioned that you seem relaxed about letting her progress or regress at her natural pace! We had one child pass another child in a set of lessons this summer and that was hard to weather as a parent as well!
thanks for taking the circus to waterworld
Swimming lessons are SO hard with big family going on. You get them into the pool and then after the fact they are all “Did you see me do ____?” And I am always trying to find a tactful way to say “No, I was trying to keep your nonswimming siblings from dying, crying, or beating each other up.” 😃
Post a Comment