Pages

prepare yourself for a very short list of books.

I do it every year, so I feel compelled to maintain the tradition of posting a list of the books I read over the course of the previous year.  The problem is that this year's list is embarrassing.  Not content-wise; there are actually some really good books on it.  But it's bare-bones.

But whatever, carpe diem and all that.  So without further ado, here is the list of the only eight books I read last year.

1. Martin Luther by Martin Marty (1/13)

2. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  by J.K. Rowling (1/22)

3. L’Abri by Edith Schaeffer (2/07)

4. Cure Tooth Decay by Ramiel Nagel (6/15)

5. Blood, Bones and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef by Gabrielle Hamilton

6. Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

7.  The Prize-Winner of Defiance, Ohio: How My Mother Raised Ten Kids on 25 Words or Less by Terry Ryan

8.  Trim Healthy Mama by Pearl Barrett and Serene Allison


Some of these were only okay (ahem, there, Marty Martin).  Some were repeat-reads from previous years (Harry Potter, and the Prize-Winner of Defiance, Ohio).  Some were purely informational (Cure Tooth Decay and THM).  Some were downright stellar (Blood, Bones and Butter, and Wild).  And some were literally life-changing (L'Abri).  I suppose I'm glad there weren't any outright stinkers mucking up the list.


I'd like to promise to do better this year.  2017 is the cure-all for the failed bookworm (and any other type of failure), after all.  But, I'm too much of a realist to make any such promise.  This coming year holds many of the same competitors for my time and attention as did last year.  But, I have high hopes!  So, here's to hoping I have a little bit longer list next year.

Any glowing recommendations for books I should read this year?

3 comments :

todd said...

I'm excited that you're currently reading the Chronicles of Narnia.

todd said...

Future Men - Doug Wilson is on my short list of must reads I'd recommend to any and e'ery!!!

Kris Scheppler said...

The Last Bus to Wisdom. Highly recommend ....add it to your list. I think you'd enjoy it.