Pages

good, cheap, quick salmon patties that even kids will eat!

"Good, cheap, and quick" are my cooking trifecta in this season of life.  I want to spend as little money as possible at the store, and as little time as possible in the kitchen, with as few fights-slash-bribes as necessary when trying to get the kids to eat what I make.  If it's healthy, that's a bonus, too.

I've always kind of had to be a budget cook.  When Todd and I first got married, our weekly grocery budget was $30 per week.  Every two weeks, we treated ourselves to a takeout meal, but other than that, it was on me to feed the two of us on less than $5 per day.  I clipped a lot of coupons and we ate a ton of Hamburger Helper.

Our budget has obviously had to increase as our numbers have increased, so I've had to get creative with ways to keep it reasonably low - especially since I don't really do Hamburger Helper-type meals all that often anymore.

A few years ago, I came across a recipe for salmon patties.  I honestly hadn't ever heard of them, and was equal parts intrigued and disgusted by the idea.  I ran it past Todd, who said his mom used to make them a lot growing up, and he always really liked them, so I figured I'd at least give it a shot.

And you know what?  They're really good.  Like, really good.  My kids don't even fight me on them.  Plus, they're crazy-cheap.  A can of salmon at Aldi is less than $3, so I double this recipe in order to feed all of us, and it still only costs me about $7 for the whole meal, including sides of steamed broccoli and rice.  That's a HUGE win.




So here's what you'll need to know:

Salmon Patties
Total prep/cook time: 20 minutes
Makes: 4-6 salmon patties

Ingredients:

1 (14.5 oz.) can of salmon
1 egg
1/4 c. almond meal or bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp. dried minced onion
1 tsp. paprika
Fresh green onions, chopped (optional)

(Feel free to mess around with seasoning quantities, or add or take out any as you see fit.  I'm not really a measurer of things, and usually just throw in whatever I have on hand that sounds good, and they always turn out fine.)


Steps:

1.  Drain salmon and mash it with a fork.  You could pick all the bones and skin out, but there are some really great nutrients in those - things like calcium and Omega-3's - and honestly, once you mix it all up, you can't even tell they're in there.  I recommend just leaving it all in there and mashing it well.  It'll be our secret.

2.  Mix in the rest of the ingredients.

3.  Heat about 1/4 c. cooking oil over med heat.  (I like to use bacon grease, but whatever you use most often will work.)

4.  Using your hands, form medium-sized balls of the mixture, and then flatten into patties (just like if you were making burgers).  When oil is hot, cook for 3-5 minutes on each side, until the outside is crispy and the inside is cooked through.

To serve, I like to mix about 1/4 c. mayonnaise with 1 Tbsp. lemon juice as a dipping sauce, or as a topping if serving these on buns.

4 comments :

todd said...

i like food trifectas!

Danielle Tiarks said...

I LOVE your food recipes. Your alfredo is a big staple in my house and jordan can't stop eating it. I'm looking forward to trying this and keeping our budget low low low!

Do you know if you could prepare this the night before? Like, mix everything together and then stick it in the fridge so the next day I can just fry it up and call it done? Hungry toddlers, amiright?

Paige at The Minivan Voorsts said...

Dani, I'm so glad the white sauce is such a hit with your clan! I still need to email you my triple berry pie recipe - I'll do that today!

I think it would be totally fine to mix this the night before! My only thought is that the bread crumbs or almond meal might soak up some of the moisture and make them a little crumbly, but I'd honestly just try it and see! If they're too crumbly, you could always mix everything else together the night before and just add the breadcrumbs right before cooking.

Paige at The Minivan Voorsts said...

Todd, that's because you're a trifecta yourself: dazzlingly handsome, stunningly intelligent, and superfluously good at Scrabble. #toddfecta