One of the books I'm reading this week is "The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction," by Alan Jacobs. Timely. I was struck by this passage quoted from Charles Darwin:
"My mind seems to have become a kind of machine for grinding general laws out of large collections of facts, but why this should have caused the atrophy of that part of the brain alone, on which the higher tastes depend, I cannot conceive. A man with a mind more highly organised or better constituted than mine, would not, I suppose, have thus suffered; and if I had to live my life again, I would have made a rule to read some poetry and listen to some music at least once every week; for perhaps the parts of my brain now atrophied would thus have been kept active through use. The loss of these tastes is a loss of happiness, and may possibly be injurious to the intellect, and more probably to the moral character, by enfeebling the emotional part of our nature."
Oh, how that resonates with me. So I decided to start (volitionally) listening to music again more regularly. Todd's good at cultivating an atmosphere of good music in our house, but when I'm alone, I rarely want to fill my own time with more 'noise.' But I used to enjoy music so much! (I was a professional dancer for a very short stint, and even went to college on a piano scholarship; did I ever tell you that?) So I'm starting small and with something so easy to enjoy: Copeland. One of my all-time favorites.
What else should I be listening to?

4 comments :
sigur ros is good background music (unless you speak Icelandic in which case you will be more distracted by whatever it is he's saying)
Benjamin Frances Leftwich
Sufjan Stevens
William Fitzsimmons
My all time favorite band is Sleeping at Last. Keep No Score is my fav album, but Space and Senses (2 separate albums) are also goodies ☺️
United Pursuit!
Post a Comment