Pages

healing my diastasis recti: a progress report.

Well, I'm about halfway through my Ab Rehab exercises, and I thought I'd give you an update on how everything is going in my efforts to heal my diastasis recti.

If you've read the previous blog post (and if you haven't, you should), you know that I've been dealing with an ab separation for quite a while now.  The gap between my abdominals was about two fingers wide, and it was hindering me from being able to do simple things that rely on core strength, like sit and stand up straight.   Not to mention, I'd been looking particularly spare-tire-y, even though I'd lost most of the baby weight.  So I got in touch with Kelley Suggs from Lithe Wellness Solutions, and started going through the Ab Rehab program, which is about ten weeks of exercises that increasingly re-train those ab muscles back together.

Anyway, blah blah blah, enough talking.  I know why you're here: you want to see if it's working.  I'm with you, friend.  So without further ado...


Okay, so, if you're anything like me, you're kind of squinting back and forth between the pictures, wondering if you're actually seeing much change, or if your eyes are playing tricks on you. I think, visually, it's most obvious if you look down toward where my shirt meets my pants, and then scan upward. What you can't see in these photos is that the actual gap itself has gone from two fingers wide to about 1.5 fingers wide. (Believe me, I checked on five - count them, five - separate days to make sure I wasn't imagining things.) That may not seem like much, but that's 25% smaller than it was just a few weeks ago, which I count as a major win. Another thing you're not able to see in the photos is how much stronger I feel when I'm sitting and standing, and the fact that I'm even capable at this point of holding my abs tight. (I couldn't even flex them or 'suck in' my stomach before, my abs were so weak.) I'm still not feeling 100% normal yet, but I'm definitely optimistic.
I will tell you that I do these exercises pretty much every single night, and I go sloooow with them. They're simple - while they push you, they're not difficult. However, they do take concentration and control, and I have to pay close attention to my form when I'm doing them. I have also tried to be extremely committed. I have only missed four days in the last six weeks, and I ended up doing Exercise 2 for an extra week before moving on, since we went on vacation and I forgot to take the DVD with me. Whoops. So I still have about five weeks to go, and I'm really excited to see how much improvement I continue to see. I'll be doing one more update post at the end.


Now, onto some bonus material!  Over the last few weeks, a lot of questions have come up about this diastasis recti/Ab Rehab stuff.  But I am far from an expert in any of this (other than how to cause and then rock a flabby core), so I thought I'd attempt to get some answers straight from the horse's mouth.  And by that, I mean I emailed Kelley and asked her.  I will be posting our questions and her answers tomorrow on the blog, so stay tuned!

Check out all the posts in this series!
Post Four: my diastasis recti: the final verdict on Ab Rehab

*I was not financially compensated for this post. I received the DVD for review purposes. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.*

3 comments :

todd said...

you are a rockstar!!!

Amanda Cushman said...

I can see a big difference! Great job!

paige said...

Thanks so much, guys! I'm feeling really good!