so i will tell you why hashtags usually bug me.
1. they often mean nothing. half the time people use hashtags that are clearly just made up and no one would ever in a million years want to look for the myriad things listed under that tag. #example: #myarmreallyhurts #ishouldprobablycallthehomenurse #ibetifsomeonemademebreakfastinbedmyarmwouldnthurtsobad. who in the world would ever search for those things hoping tons of people posted under that tag?
2. they are frequently longer than the actual thing you are trying to say. #example: 'i'm eating an arby's sandwich. #ifoundthisinmybackseatandhavenoideahowolditis #probablynotthegreatestideaiveeverhad
3. people feel the need to use fifty bajillion hashtags for one status update/tweet. #example: watching college football with the bros. #gohawks #collegefootball #iowahawkeyes #iowahawks #letsgoteam #ilovequarterbacks #wingsareawesome #letsdothisthing #cyclonessuck #blackandgold
4. even if, on the off-chance, your nonsensical tags actually get you some sweet, sweet attention from hashtag browsers, the posts themselves aren't all that interesting without the hashtag. #example: swiss cheese is my fave #goodeats. i'm constantly shocked at the things people think other people should find interesting.
5. people who use hashtags sometimes usually use hashtags all. the. time. self-explanatory.
we all have a choice to make. we can use our hashtags responsibly, or we can throw them around like dollar bills at a strip club. please, people; we are not rappers. we have no business making it rain. keep your head down, your nose out of the coke, and your hashtag usage frugal.