Pages

i'm eating us out of house and home.

As you already know, I'm doing a round of Whole30.  I've attempted this two times before now (though I've only completed it one of those times, whoops) so I'm not totally new to the game. 

This time around, I was ready: I had learned a few lessons from the times before, like adapting meals that I already eat, rather than trying to look up a bunch of Whole30-specific meals, and I was feeling pretty confident.  Plus, I'd been doing Trim Healthy Mama for a while before this, so I wasn't dealing with a sugar addiction anymore, and I was used to loading up on protein and veggies.  So other than skipping out on a few foods I typically eat, like cheese and 85% dark chocolate, how much different could it be, really?

The first week and a half were pretty smooth sailing.  Other than the brownies I ate the first two days (which I don't even feel bad about because guests made them and brought them over, and who am I to spurn their generosity?), I didn't deal much with food cravings or feelings of deprivation.  I honestly hadn't thought much about it at all.

Then there was yesterday.  Dastardly Day Ten.  Not only did the food cravings hit (I have never wanted a glass of milk and a plain slice of bread so badly in all my life), but my metabolism decided to rev wayyyyyyyy up.  Yesterday alone, I consumed four cans of tuna, four eggs, and half a pound of bacon, in addition to all the fruits and veggies.  Plus like four cups of coffee.  (I think my body is trying to cope with the loss of chocolate by consuming copious amounts of coffee.  I don't know if that's a move in the right direction or not.)

I don't know if I can stomach the idea of this much tuna and this many fried eggs for the next three weeks.  They're pretty cheap, easy-to-prepare sources of protein, but one can eat only so many eggs and so much fish before one is egg-and-fished out.  I'm nearing that point.

So maybe with the today's projected mid-fifties temperatures, I can get outside and grill some chicken to keep in the fridge.  Maybe grilled chicken won't scratch the itch that a really cheesy, greasy piece of pizza would scratch right now (OHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYY WORRRRRRRRRRRRRD) (also, when does grilled chicken ever scratch that itch?), but at least it's not eggs. 

And at least I live in Missouri, where I have the option to grill because it's 55 degrees on January 11th.  (Reveling in Missouri's winter weather will never, ever get old, so if you're getting sick of hearing about it, you might want to go read some other yokel's blog.)

1 comment :

todd said...

you just need to keep working your way up the chain. eat eggs until you can't and then move up to chicken and when that doesn't do the trick, begin eating foxes. problem = solved.