Well, I threw in the towel. Yesterday was Day 17 of the Whole30, and I up and quit. I was irritable and starving, which some might say is par for the course, but I kind of got to a point where I was like, why am I doing this to myself? And inflicting misery on everyone else around me as a result?
I wasn't craving things like Oreos or Mt. Dew, or really anything else that was bad for me. (Although I did have one dream about some reallllllly cheesy macaroni. And another dream about 100 or so foil-wrapped rotisserie chickens, all laid out before me like it was a feast and I was a king.) I wanted brown rice. I wanted milk. I wanted butter. And heaven help me, if a nursing mother just wants to eat some rice and drink some milk, I'm not going to stand in her way.
Am I a bit ashamed that I didn't have what it takes to finish out this round? Yeah, to be honest, I am. I wish I had finished strong. I wish I had more discipline in the face of difficulty. But I don't really regret giving up. I spent two and a half weeks eating really healthy, and now I'm going to go back to eating my own particular brand of 'mostly healthy.' And that's good enough for me.
So there's that. Consider me WholeOuttie.
3 comments :
bwws was a fun way to celebrate your 17 days of success. nice work!
Do you think next time you could make sure to have some special foods on hand that could help when it gets hard? Or give yourself a cheat hour or time on the front end like I can eat x at naptime? I'm always thinking about how I could do things differently in the future. :-) I remember one year, I set out to fast from sweets and soon into my fast, realized I had not been specific enough and though I was avoiding desserts per se, I was still enjoying cereal and even donuts for breakfast. Ha! I had not been specific enough on the front end. :-)
Good job on 17 days! I did whole30 once when nursing (baby was 5 mos) and it was really hard. I think our bodies need a good variety of food when feeding another human! It didn't seem nearly so hard to try gaps intro when not nursing. So, for whatever that is worth there is my related experience! Looking forward to your future posts with regained mental clarity :)
Post a Comment