While Rocco ended up being born at 10:38 last Wednesday night, I can't really say for sure how long I was in labor. I know I had a strong contraction Tuesday night around 11:00, and was woken up occasionally through the night by strong, painful contractions that would then die out. I had a couple more in the morning, as well as some spotting, and though I mentioned to Todd that 'today might be the day,' it never really turned into anything. By the time my 8:00 chiropractic appointment rolled around, contractions had totally stopped, so I went in without incident.
At 9:00, I went to my prenatal appointment, had a couple minor contractions in the waiting room, but (again), it ended up being nothing. I don't ever have them do cervical checks, so without knowing if I was dilating or anything, there wasn't really anything they could tell me. My midwife asked if I wanted my membranes stripped to try to get labor started, to which I emphatically responded HECK NO (did it once. never again. while effective, it was SO PAINFUL. never again.) She scheduled me for a nonstress test for the following Saturday, and I went home feeling pretty normal.
However, around lunchtime, stuff started getting real. My sister texted and asked how I was feeling, and I responded with something like, i...think?...i'm in labor?... I let my mom know to be on high alert for possibly needing to come up later in the day, as I was still hesitant to say for certain it was true labor.
I get that I could probably have called it sooner, but remember what happened with Laurelai? I was certain it was labor, and the third time my mom and sister made the 2.5-hour drive up here, I was actually right. So this time around, I wanted to be absolutely sure before calling for backup. Even Todd, who had been home the whole day and was scheduled to go in to work at 5:00, asked at 3:30 if I was sure.
So, finally, around 4:00, I called my mom to come up and watch the kids, and around 4:30, Todd called into work to say he wouldn't be coming in. In a weird turn of events, we actually had some leftovers sitting in the fridge from the night before, so I got those warming in the oven for the kids' dinner. They ate, I labored, you know the drill.
My mom got here from Southeast Iowa, and my sister arrived from Des Moines, both a little after 7:00 and not a moment too soon. While my contractions were coming every 10-15 minutes while I was laying down, they were every 3-5 if I was upright, and getting stronger. So we waited for another contraction to come and go while I was laying down, so that I could hightail it to the car and get as horizontal as possible before another one hit. I called the hospital at that point to let them know we were coming, and we were on our way.
My mom got here from Southeast Iowa, and my sister arrived from Des Moines, both a little after 7:00 and not a moment too soon. While my contractions were coming every 10-15 minutes while I was laying down, they were every 3-5 if I was upright, and getting stronger. So we waited for another contraction to come and go while I was laying down, so that I could hightail it to the car and get as horizontal as possible before another one hit. I called the hospital at that point to let them know we were coming, and we were on our way.
2 comments :
cliffhanger!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Todd, that's exactly what I was going to say! CLIFFHANGER! That is so cruel! It's not like you have five kids to attend to, is it?! More birth story, says I, MORE!
Post a Comment