Pages

our trip to south dakota: getting there.

Happy Memorial Day, everyone!  Not sure what your plans are, but mine involve hanging around the house in my pajamas and desperately attempting to overcome raging pregnancy heartburn.  Just like Beyonc√© is probably doing today.

IF I was trying to kid you into thinking that this is an out-of-the-ordinary way to spend my time, I'd probably attempt to convince you it's because I need a low-key day after last week's vacation.  That's right, we were gone most of the week - we took our annual road trip up to see Todd's parents in the Black Hills!

We left earrrrrrly Saturday morning.  6:00 a.m. to be exact.  Which means I was up at 4:30 a.m.  I think the last time I was up for the day at 4:30 a.m. was when I was in the middle of labor with Atticus.  So it's been kind of a while.  And while this time around was no "birthing a baby at 4:30," it was still 4:30 and still unpleasant.  So, by the time we hit Kansas City, I was already in full-on nap mode.  Todd was kind enough to snap a few photos for the memory album.  "Hey kids, remember that one time Mom looked dead and also angry at the same time?"



The kids ate breakfast in the car.



I had planned and planned and planned for our trip, but one thing I failed to consider was that we were taking this particular trip over a month earlier in the summer than we normally do.  And while it's already in the 80's and humid here in Missouri, it is not so much in South Dakota.  Or anywhere along the way.  IT. WAS. FREEZING.  So all of those fun park and playground stops I had planned into our itinerary were bordering on miserable.  For me, anyway.  The kids still had a good time.




Our 'lunch' stop was supposed to be at like 2:00 at Falls Park, but it was seriously so cold and rainy there, we just got out long enough to put on coats and snap a few photos, then we got back in the warm van and tried to figure out what to do next.





I was so outrageously exhausted, and starving (and dealing with the resulting insulin swings), and sore, and just all around pregnant that we were bordering on a Mom meltdown.  I have always been so in love with my husband, but I'm not sure I've ever been as in love with him as I was the moment he found a Pizza Ranch nearby.



Laurelai's blurry, yellowed face basically sums up how we all felt about being there and finally getting some lunch at around 3:30.



With bellies full of warm, carby food, the little kids all napped in the car after that, PRAISE THE LORD!!!






Our last official stop was just a few hours later at a drive-in diner in Murdo.  Since we had just had a pretty huge meal not too long before, I only ordered the kids some shakes and fries.  While I was inside ordering (and using their restroom because preggos pee a LOT, did you know that??), Todd let the kids run off some steam in a nearby field.







And from there, we headed through the Badlands loop, which I'll tell you all about tomorrow!


No comments :