So we've been using bar soap to brush our teeth and I've really been liking it. It has kept our teeth really clean. But with only one bar of soap between us, we were running into the problem of extensive germ-sharing. We would each run our toothbrushes along the surface of the soap before brushing, and I strongly suspect it was cycling sickness amongst us. I was trying to figure out a way to give everyone a separate bar of soap, and to keep them all separate and organized, but a noncomplicated solution was proving elusive.
My best idea involved a couple baskets hung on the inside of the cupboard doors, with a color-coded water cup holding a color-coded soap dish and toothbrush for each kid. It's still not out of the realm of possibility that a system like this might someday be unveiled at Chez V.V., but for the time being, I didn't want to spend the time and money hunting around for all the supplies I'd need. Luckily, a better solution presented itself in the meantime.
I follow The Clementine Bee on Instagram because of the adorable eco-friendly products they offer, and a couple weeks ago, Melissa (the owner) posted the ingredients she was gathering together to make some remineralizing toothpaste for her family. As it turned out, I had every ingredient in my possession - ironically, from the time four years ago that I had purchased all the supplies to make remineralizing toothpaste... and then promptly forgot about them. (I have issues with follow-through.)
So the other day, I pulled out everything I'd be using.
Coconut oil
Bentonite clay
Baking soda (OPTIONAL: see note)
Essential oils (I used peppermint and tea tree)
Stevia (liquid or powder)
Trace mineral drops (optional)
I mixed together about 1 part coconut oil, 1/2 part clay, and 1/2 part baking soda. There is really very little science to this - you really can't mess it up. Just going by consistency, and keeping in mind that the upcoming summer months would make the coconut oil extra runny, I opted for a bit more clay to keep things stiff. (In the winter, when coconut oil tends to stay hard in the cooler temperatures, I'll use less clay.) Note on baking soda: you may be worried about it being too abrasive on your enamel to brush with baking soda, and that's fine! Just leave it out and increase the clay.
Once I got a consistency that looked good - soft, but able to hold its shape on a toothbrush - I added a few drops of trace minerals, a few drops of each essential oil, and a few drops of stevia. (If you're using powdered stevia, add small amounts at a time and taste as you go.)
Once it was mixed, I was back to navigating the germ dilemma. Did it really accomplish anything for me to put it all in a communal jar that we'd dip our toothbrushes into? Or, alternatively, did I really want to have to have eight separate jars of toothpaste floating around the bathroom, potentially getting mixed up with each other anyway?
I wanted something sanitary but simple to store. Like a tube of toothpaste. But what could I buy that would function like a tube of toothpaste? Then I remembered I had one lone refillable squeeze pouch a friend had given me last year. I hadn't found a use for it, so it had just been languishing in the kitchen drawer, all alone and purposeless. Bingo bango.
It has worked well. We did have one incident where the toothpaste kind of hardened in the spout for a little while, but once it resolved itself, we haven't had the same issue since. I also had to duct tape the bottom closed since it did pop open once when the kids were trying to squeeze it. So it's not a fail-proof system, but it does seem to be working well enough for me to consider it a win!
Honestly, it tastes like toothpaste. Sweet and minty. It does have a bit of saltiness from the baking soda, but I could easily add a bit more stevia to cover that up if I minded it, but I don't.
Unfortunately, Penelope and Finneas seem to hate the stronger taste of mint than they're used to, and we've had to overcome some tears and gagging during the transition. So I promised Penelope that the next time I make this, we'll try lemon essential oil instead of mint.
Overall, I'm really, really happy with this toothpaste, and I'm really hoping it helps keep the kids' teeth healthy and strong. It tastes good, and cleans SO well. The only drawbacks I am noticing are that you need to rinse it out well when you're done brushing (it can kind of overstay its welcome), and unlike normal toothpaste residue that creates a white film in the sink, this stuff (being clay-based) can leave a brown, muddy-looking residue. But since we wipe down the counters and sink daily, it hasn't been horrible to keep on top of.
There you have it! Who knew you could concoct toothpaste at home? If you'd like to give it a go yourself, here are the supplies I used:
Okay, okay. I didn't actually use the animal pouches in the bottom list, but HOW CUTE ARE THEY?!?!?!?! I just had to include them. Maybe at some point, I'll make each kid their own tube of toothpaste to keep track of, each with a different animal pouch. Adorable.
I will mention - these affiliate Amazon links are to the smallest packages of the products I already had on hand. You will likely be able to find many of them cheaper or in smaller quantities at your local health food store, or even Aldi!





3 comments :
i was initially skeptical. bar soap instead of toothpaste? i mean, it's right there in the name, tooth... paste. why would you use anything else? but this has won me over. paradigm shifted. i've been using bar soap and baking soda instead of traditional toothpaste for months now and really enjoy using it to clean my teeth. it is simple and effective.
Can I ask - what has your dentist said? Side note: no judgement if you haven't been to the dentist. I'm a regular attendee, but Jordan's been years since he's seen one and you've got 6 kids - I can't even begin to imagine that visit for you!
Anyway. If you are a braver mom than I and have taken your kiddos to the dentist since starting to clean with soap, what have their thoughts been? Also, are you anti-flourine?
Dani, the dentist never asked when I took the kids in, and because we've moved so much, they didn't have any 'pre-soap' teeth to compare things to. But they did say the kids' teeth looked clean and like they brushed well. (The speech pathologist who examined Atticus' mouth said the same thing.) I will be interested at their next dental visit to note whether they're getting fewer cavities than they were before the switch - I swear, we ate well and brushed well, but the kids got SO many cavities when we were using regular toothpaste!
Yes, we skip the fluoride treatments. I'm not militantly anti-fluoride, but it does freak me out to put a known neurotoxin in their mouths... (though I do realize it's already in the water, so maybe it doesn't really matter in the end.)
I personally have been to the dentist only once in the last SEVEN YEARS! At that visit, Atticus peed his pants (potty training) and Penelope spent the entire time screaming her head off. I haven't been free to go by myself since, so I just haven't gone. Too much stress to take them with me! Plus, now my insurance only covers dental visits for pregnant women. You know, because pregnancy is the time when your gag reflex is extra sensitive so you LOVE having people put their hands and all kinds of other things in your mouth, and also when you can't get Xrays. The reasoning behind that is beyond me, but whatever. :)
So I just brush well with an electric toothbrush and floss with a Water Pik, and cross my fingers it's good enough!
Post a Comment