But there were a few things holding me back from jumping in before then.
1. I didn't want to teach them myself. I could. I'm equipped. But I knew my personal time and attention constraints, and I knew I wouldn't be consistent if all the responsibility to teach them rested on my shoulders.
2. As the child of a pianist, and being relatively musical myself, I didn't want to settle for any old malarkey lessons. If we were going to spend the time and the money, I wanted the kids to be taught well.
3. Piano lessons are expensive. I have a friend whose kids are taking lessons here in town, and it costs $65/month per kid. I know it's easy to assume that single-income families with six kids typically have hundred dollar bills just sprouting out of their ears, but contrary to popular belief, we are on a budget.
Hmmmm. So, to sum up, I was looking for excellent, thorough lessons that didn't require my oversight, and that didn't cost much. I realize I kept my expectations low.
A fellow homeschool mom mentioned Hoffman Academy in a Facebook thread, and I was super skeptical. How on earth could an internet video ever adequately instruct a child to sit properly, hold their hands 'light and loose,' and improvise? Bah humbug.
But... the price was right up my alley. It's only $18/month for the first student, and $9/month for each additional student. It wouldn't cost me anywhere near what in-person piano lessons would cost, so I could take a chance on it - if it ended up being a let-down, I wouldn't be out much.
So we signed up, and have spent over six months using Hoffman, and the verdict is in...
I LOVE HOFFMAN ACADEMY ALMOST AS MUCH AS I LOVE MY OWN KIDS. ALMOST.
I could go on and on and on, but here are the best things about it:
1. The kids work independently. I am occasionally necessary to listen to things they've learned, or to remind them to use the 'piano posture' they were taught in their lessons, but they are progressing so quickly on their own with very little of my own time invested. It doesn't require any prior piano knowledge or skills on the part of the parent.
1. The kids work independently. I am occasionally necessary to listen to things they've learned, or to remind them to use the 'piano posture' they were taught in their lessons, but they are progressing so quickly on their own with very little of my own time invested. It doesn't require any prior piano knowledge or skills on the part of the parent.
2. The teaching is incredible. They are learning so much from so many different angles: they are learning music theory, and playing by ear, and reading music, and improvising. Honestly, for as haughty and snobby as I felt about 'dirty old internet lessons,' I can honestly say that the instruction they're receiving is superior to what I received growing up, and my instruction was pretty excellent.
3. It is so affordable. Even in the future when we have a lot of kids old enough to enroll, the monthly cost per child is so low that I don't worry whether it's sustainable in the long-run.
4. Not only are the lessons thorough, but even practice time is guided. I don't have to assign anything each day, or hound the kids to do anything. They know what to do each day because it's all laid out for them within the program itself.
5. They love it. The lesson videos include Mr. Hoffman doing funny little bonuses at the end that they look forward to. The practice sessions include games and activities. They actually fight over who gets to use the piano first each day, and I almost never have any grumbling about 'having' to practice piano. (Far cry from my own memories of learning!)
6. We can do lessons right from home. I don't have to spend time driving anywhere, and I don't have to figure out what the littler kids are going to do to occupy their time while we wait for lessons to be over. The lessons seamlessly fit right in with our home life.
7. Listening to the kids play actual music is such a joy! I can't believe how fast they're learning - it's a far cry from the screechy, plunky practicing I imagined we would have to start off with. I love listening to them learn, knowing that they're developing such an amazing skill.
I really can't rave highly enough about Hoffman Academy! I am so happy that someone passed along this resource to me; we've been so blessed by it.







4 comments :
Good to know! We're thinking on this, too. On this note, thoughts on pianos/keyboards? What would you recommend starting with? Free off Craigslist or ought I purchase a particular one even if I don't know our future with piano?
Lissa, any piano will do. Ours was a free hand-me-down! The only thing I will say is that, since the kiddos are playing along with the videos, it's really important to have the piano tuned! Ours was out of tune so long that it will take a few tunings before it will be 'right', and it definitely sounds off when the kids play.
i love that the kiddos are learning the piano. my mom has been saying for years that she wants to learn how to play the piano. maybe if she used something like this, she could learn from the comfort of her own home?
you reading mom? give it a whirl!!!!
We LOVE Hoffman Academy. My middle (9 yr old) is on premium while the youngers are still using the free version. If you're even considering learning piano, this is definitely the place to go.
Post a Comment