Pages

family fun on the farm!

Last night we were invited to come picnic at a friend's farm for dinner.  The kids were so stoked.



First, we hung out near the chicken coop, gathering eggs and examining the rat snake that had met its Maker when it tried (successfully) to steal eggs.  I'll spare you the details, but it had actually swallowed an egg before its demise, and the egg later cracked while we were checking it out... Okay, I guess I didn't really spare you the details, but misery loves company, and now we both get to have that mental picture tucked away for the rest of our lives.





The kids spent some time just relaxing.




Then we went for a tramp through the woods.  Well, some of us tramped.  Others of us hopped on the ATV.  And others of us (ahem) attempted a good tramp, but accomplished more of a crippling stumble when our bum ankle gave way under the weight of our out-of-shape body.





We explored the woods, and the ominously-named Bone Creek.  Laurelai was unfazed by both, exclaiming, "Look, Dad!  I found a bone!  And another bone!  TWIN BONES!"  She wasn't wrong.  Luckily, she quickly forgot about the hunt for bones when she realized that wildflowers were more prolific and better-smelling.




Soon it was time to head back to base camp, so the kids piled on the ATV.  (I realize there are criticisms to be made about the choices being made in this photo, but I kindly reject them all in advance.  Thank you for your understanding.)




Rocco did a little exploring: first, of a pretty and ramshackle barn. 




Next, of a guerrilla mud puddle, which he kept referring to as a blood puddle.  The resulting hose-down was also insulting, so he ended the evening 'bloody', soaked, and sulking.


 

Atticus spent a little while fighting Nazis.  As well he should.  Those Nazis aren't just going to fight themselves.




And then the kids thought they should spend at least a few moments looking like child models.





And thus ended our evening on the farm.  Thanks so much for having us out, Stan!





2 comments :

todd said...

i love watching the kiddos explore the world around them. what a fun night. thanks for documenting these days. i'm only hours removed and enjoying looking back, i can only imagine looking back years down the road. good times.

Maren Fleer said...

I love that Todd is always the first to comment on your posts and I love the way you write! You crack me up! I’m glad you guys had time to be outside and explore nature!