Pages

my favorite thanksgiving turkey recipe.

I have a recipe for your new favorite way to cook a turkey!

If you've known me or have been reading the blog for a while, this recipe is old news, but I've never gotten around to posting it before Thanksgiving, so I thought I'd give you plenty of time to plan to make it this year.

Just follow me in my turkey-making ways, and I won't steer you wrong.


Train up a child in how to properly cook a turkey, and when they are old they will not depart from it.


I originally got this recipe from Country Living (which used to be the best magazine in the world until it switched editors a few years ago and I actually cried about it.  But luckily the old editor was around long enough to make sure this turkey made it into print).  There are two things about it that make it stand out as amazing:


First, brine.  Do you want to know why your turkey always turns out dry?  It's because you didn't brine it.  Sure, you cover it in butter, but that's not enough when it comes to these things, as proven by the fact that your turkey still comes out dry.  If you love me at all, you will promise me you will start brining your turkey.  Promise me.



This brine has jalapenos and red pepper flakes, which gives the meat some subtle kick that I love, and that I think goes really well with rich gravy and sweet cranberry sauce.  (If you can't tell, I'm thinking ahead to post-Thanksgiving sandwiches with The Moist Maker.)  But really, if you're not into flavor or something, any old brine will do.

Second, bacon.  You heard me right.  I cover it in bacon, just like Ma Ingalls did with jack rabbits.  It keeps the turkey's own moisture from evaporating out, and actually adds additional moisture as the bacon cooks.  Plus, then you have bacon for your sandwich.  I like to think Ma Ingalls would knit me a blue ribbon for this amount of resourcefulness and forethought.  (You will notice the actual recipe calls for high-fallutin' prosciutto, but I am a corn-raised Iowan and hate pretension about as much as I love bacon.  I try to stay true to my ethnic culinary roots when it's convenient to me and I feel like it.)




So, without further ado, here is what you need to know:

You will want to prep this the day before Thanksgiving, as the turkey needs to sit in the brine for at least 12 hours.

For the brine:

1 c. Kosher salt
1/2 c. red pepper flakes
3 cloves of garlic
3 jalapenos
water


For the turkey:

Whole turkey
Spice rub mixture, recipe below
1 lb. bacon


Spice rub mixture:
I will note that this is called "Lonesome Dove Game Rub" in the original recipe, but as I can't bring myself to call it that, and I know that Todd would mock me mercilessly if I even tried to, I am just going to call it "spice rub mixture."

1/4 c. chili powder
1/4 c. kosher salt
2 Tbsp. cumin
1 Tbsp. dried rosemary
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. black pepper


Directions:

For brine, IN ADVANCE: In a large pot (I use my canning pot), combine salt, red pepper flakes, garlic, jalapenos and 2 qts. hot water.  Place turkey in pot, breast side down, and cover with cold water until fully submerged.  Cover pot and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.  (Don't overdo it - it will get salty if you leave it in there for too long.  One year I left it in for over 24 hours and almost pickled the guts of the Mormon missionaries we had over.  Whoopsie daisy.)

To cook: Preheat oven to 325.  Drain, rinse, and dry turkey.  Rub liberally with spice rub mixture.  (You may not end up using it all - that's okay.)  Put turkey in a roasting pan, and drape about three-fourths of the bacon over the breast, using toothpicks to secure it.  Wrap the legs and thighs with the remaining bacon.

Roast until a meat thermometer registers 165 degrees in the thigh, about 4 hours, depending on the size of your turkey.  (You might want to look up cook time guidelines).  After the first 1.5 hours or so, you'll want to tent the whole thing with foil so the bacon doesn't burn.

When turkey is done, transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 30 minutes.  After carving, serve hot with bacon on the side or crumbled on top of the slices.  Also, definitely make gravy with the drippings.

You're about to level-up your Thanksgiving.  You're welcome!


1 comment :

todd said...

my sandwich? MY SANDWICH?!?!?!?!