Pages

the bi-weekly 'what's up.'

Well, we've got a lot to cover today.  Not only did I fail to post a weekly update last week, but it's been a couple of very full weeks.  So grab a coffee... or maybe even a full meal, and tuck in, because we're going to be here for a while.

Last week was our last full week of summer.  We wrapped up swimming lessons, though a couple of the kids developed weird rashes partway through the week, so they had to sit out a few of the days.  Oh well, it just meant I had more company on the sidelines, and most of them still passed their levels even with missing so many days.






After our last day of lessons, I took all the kids to Sonic for shakes, and we finished the morning at my friend Megan's pool.




"Oh, you know, just drinking a shake and contemplating the metaphysical realities of my life."


Rocco was glad he was finally able to get in the water!  Callista was done sitting for the day, so we stuck her in a pack and play for a little poolside R&R.  She was not a fan.


Intrigued by that perennial favorite, the Air Bubble in the Swim Shorts phenomenon.




Other than that, last week held a few other highlights: I had a surgery consult for a hernia I've developed, at which I nearly blacked out while he was showing me an illustrated pamphlet about hernias, and also got the good news that surgery won't be necessary, at least in the immediate future.

Knowing that school was about to start the following week, I decided to be super impulsive and paint the ceiling of our room.  I didn't get to the walls, though, and I have a feeling it will be a while before I do.  School strips me of almost all energy for anything else.  I really should have gotten the walls done last week... sad trombone.


The ceiling paint is so fresh it's still wet, and my bed is covered with a makeshift dropcloth.  Fancy.  I have my eyes on this room as my next project... I mean, after bookshelves for the dining room, and a family closet/pantry setup for my laundry room, and installing a new dining room door.  But other than that, it's next on the list. ;)
Then came the stretch of All the Good Things: Todd got news of his promotion, he officiated a wedding, he preached at church, and we all got in front of the camera for once.



Sunday morning, I woke up feeling kind of under the weather, but I figured it had just been a long stretch of a week.  But by Sunday night, I was running a fever and was having difficulty swallowing.  Monday, I still had a fever, and was wrestling with a migraine and loss of appetite... which made a really perfect addition to the chaos of the first day of school.  (**NOT.**)  (Remember "NOT"?  Ahh, the golden age.)





And how IS school going, you ask?


Well.  School is KICKING MY BUTT.  It is not messing around with me this year.  Most days this week we didn't finish before 3:30, and one day it even went until 4:30.  I know it will get easier (and quicker) as we figure out the system, but dang.  I'm feeling intimidated by the weight of the looming year.  The kids seem less fazed by it than I've been, though, which is good.



Rocco is killing it at 'blanket time,' the time during which all the big kids are otherwise occupied with school and Callista is down for a nap.  I just get out a special box of toys from the 'off-limits' closet, and require him to quietly play within the perimeter of a blanket.  He seems to like it!




And, just because this post is already a novel anyway, let me play you into the weekend with some gratuitous photos of my beautiful babies:





See?  Your weekend is looking sunnier already.

1 comment :

todd said...

there is no lack of action packed into our lives. it's my favorite show. i watch it every day.