Pages

reunion with family, and with the Rocket Slide (and introducing my kids to both).

On Saturday, we headed up to Iowa for a family reunion on my dad's side.  It's been years since I've seen some of them, my dad included, and my feelings were strong and mixed as we hit the road.  Luckily, Rocco found a way to make the day about himself and his feelings about his breakfast burrito.  (Also strong, not at all mixed.)



Callista would not be outdone, so she made known her own strong-not-mixed feelings about riding in the car.  And just to prove herself an individual, the only successful cure for her feelings was, ironically, a breakfast burrito.



When we arrived, the kids immediately swarmed the playground.  I have so many fond (and not-so-fond) memories of scalding the skin off my thighs on this very same equipment at their age.






Y'all, meet The Rocket Slide.



I told Todd I'm absolutely shocked this slide is still permissible by law.  It is in all reality close to thirty feet tall, if not more, at its highest point, and the slide itself is made of the world's most reflective metal.  A person's chance of death by plummet is rivaled only by their chance of death by full-body cauterization.  (And, anecdotally, these odds are also rivaled by an anonymous "person's" chance of death by childhood poisoning when said person ate an abandoned two-pack of Zebra Cakes tucked away under the stairs and hazarded the fully-coherent risk.  Ahh, to be eight and gluten-tolerant again.)



Anyway, I, for one, am glad no one has apparently succumbed to the likelihoods, and this slide has been allowed to serve the community of Washington, Iowa, for what I assume is about 50 years.  (A quick Google search will take you to its picture on the Wikipedia page for "Cold War Playground Equipment," which states, "Cold war playground equipment was intended to foster children's curiosity and excitement about the Space Race."  Let me just tell you right now that's exactly how it made me feel as a child, and I could see the same curiosity and excitement in the eyes of my children on Saturday.)






Rocco totally braved this huge slide by himself without qualm.


Once all that anti-Communist sentiment was stirred up in their souls, it overflowed in bountiful displays of sibling affection.  Freedom really awakens that in a person, I guess.






But lest you think our visit consisted purely of solitary fun on the playground, I will assure you that much catching up with family happened.  Live music was played (as it always is in my family), food was eaten (again, like always), and it was so good seeing so many people I hadn't seen in a long time.  My grandparents and my dad have all aged a lot since I last saw them, but in so many ways they are also still just the same as I remember them.


My grandparents are amazing people.  They raised eight children, and fostered countless more.  I honestly couldn't tell you how many people still call them Mom and Dad to this day.  They have known deep, devastating loss, and life-changing injury, and limiting health, and they have persevered with joy and faith in the Lord.  My grandpa's expression here is so 'him' as I've always known him - so full of joy, and such a joy to be around.  I'm proud to be part of their legacy.  I hope to be like them.


We had so much fun at the reunion, and I'm really glad we went!

1 comment :

todd said...

the kids had so much fun on all the playground equipment. it was a penultimate beastmaster for them.