But I can thankfully say I think I'm officially out of that tunnel at last. My apprentices are slowly but surely becoming managers in their own right, and stuff actually gets done. And not just a token 'done', either; like, real-live, actual done.
Our house has devolved into chaos over the last
But lately, stuff has just irked me. I think I'm at that stage post-newborn where I'm just ready for things to get back to a sense of normal, and for a predictable level of calm, controlled chaos. So yesterday morning, after a quick trip to the chiropractor and the eye doctor's office to pick up Penelope's new glasses, I declared a cleaning day.
We sat down around the table for Cookies For Lunch. (The eye doctor gives out the best, hugest, chocolate-chippiest homemade cookies in the whole world, so lunch was made for me. I'm okay with my choices.) I asked them to brainstorm all the jobs we could do in each room, with the promise of earning extra money with which to buy Christmas presents for their siblings. The list they came up with was surprisingly long and thorough, and while they finished up their cookies, I divvied out the jobs amongst the kids.
I gave them each their own list, and as they completed jobs, they were allowed to 'check off' the items on their list by putting cool stickers on their list. Non-readers were helped by me or their older buddy. And we got so much done! And on top of it, it was kind of fun all working side-by-side! I never thought I'd see the day.
Here are just a few things we were able to tackle on our main floor in a little over an hour:
Mopped the entire first floor
Vacuumed all rugs and the 'edges' of each room
Wiped cabinet fronts
Cleaned windows
Cleaned baseboards
Wet-dusted (big kids)
Dry-dusted (little kids)
Watered plants
Changed sheets
Sorted toy bins
Sorted the Lego table
Mopped kitchen and wiped cabinets a second time after a glass of milk broke all over the tile floor and splattered everywhere. Whoops.
Tomorrow, we'll be continuing on our quest to get a handle on the state of things. We'll be working together to:
Fold and put away laundry
Clean the showers
Vacuum and dust the basement
Wash the ring of dirt off the walls
I am so ready to have a fresh baseline from which to allow everything to fall to crap again! And, in a year and a half when we do this again, all the kids will be even older, so I'll have even more hands on deck to help out with stuff. Having a bunch of kids sure feels lucrative sometimes.
For more on how we equip the kids for household responsibilities, and how we teach them to manage an allowance, check out the following:



4 comments :
27 She looks well to the ways of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children rise up and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women have done excellently,
but you surpass them all.”
Thank you for sharing and good job! We have had some of those days where we make a list and have little rewards but my oldest is almost 7 so there is even more hope for the future! What kind of mop do you have the kids use?
Hannah, we just use a Libman Wondermop that I think I got at Target. The kids still don't wring it out super well, so the floors get VERY wet, but then I have them slide a towel around with their feet to dry everything up. They have fun and I feel like the towel gets the floors extra clean! I have my eye on a Shark Steam Mop for the day we hit the lottery. :)
Todd, you are too sweet to me. You give me more credit than I warrant!
Post a Comment