Laurelai 'turned five-and-a-half on PIZZA NIGHT!' as she has told pretty much everyone she's encountered since then. Todd has always been really great at acknowledging even half-birthdays around here, so it's really fun to have an extra day to celebrate each of them each year. She was clearly pretty excited to mark the day that she actually turned the corner toward six.
On Saturday, Penelope and I went out together for a "mommy/daughter date." She's been wanting to make a tie blanket for the new baby, so we headed to Hobby Lobby first to choose fabric. While we were there, we also shopped for some fun supplies for our newly commissioned "Narnia Club," which I'll tell you about in a sec.
After that, I took her to lunch. She was really debating about whether to go to Red Lobster or McDonald's, and in the end she chose McDonald's. I feel like I've failed as a parent. I at least failed in my efforts of persuasion on Saturday. At least the excellent company more than made up for the disappointment in the food.
On Saturday night, we commenced our newest endeavor: Narnia Club. (Working title.) Basically, we just light candles and sit around and read Narnia together while the kids draw scenes from the chapters. (Once we're through the series, we'll be setting our sights on other books as well, which is why our club name could bear some tweaking.) We have a special bag with our notebooks, special pencils, and the current book, to make things 'official' and convenient.
I sit and fold laundry while I listen; hence, the ugly laundry bins in the background.
On Sunday, the heavens opened and poured yet more snow on us. I feel like the promised land of warm-wintered Central Missouri was just a big hoax. It made for a dismal showing at church on Sunday, since Missourians have common sense and would rather stay at home when it is unpleasant out, so Todd's sermon on Cain and Abel (which was excellent, by the way, and you should absolutely listen to it) was Anthem's first live-streamed event so that our members could still participate from home! You can watch the VIDEO! here. So fun!
On Monday, the dryer broke a little, and then I broke it more with efforts aimed at trying to fix it. It sat unusable until Wednesday, which was really inconvenient this week as Callista's guts have staged yet another uprising and I am eyeballs-deep in laundry. (Four sets of sheets and mattress covers, for one thing, plus changing pad covers and clothing and towels...) Todd was able to fix the dryer for me, though, so I'm nearly caught back up at this point, after running the washer all day yesterday.
Tuesday was uneventful. Wednesday was relatively normal, with our trip to the Amish in the morning, and a friend coming to visit in the afternoon... and, oh yeah, IT WAS FINNEAS' SEVENTH BIRTHDAY! I am just so in love with him. He got to pick all our meals for the day, so he picked cereal for breakfast, macaroni and popcorn for lunch, and pancakes for dinner. He likes carbs, if that's not clear. (I did convince him to at least add hot dogs to the macaroni meal, and move the popcorn to later in the afternoon while everyone watched a movie.) We'll do a small celebration with gifts and cake tomorrow.
Yesterday began with Penelope getting a possible concussion. Excellent. Long story short, the kids were wrestling in the basement, which is completely carpeted except for a tiny 3'x3' square of ceramic tile by the door. Of course someone tackled her too closely to the tile, she hit her head, and came to me rubbing a goose egg. I'm pretty low-alarm, so I was like, "Bummer. Go play and it will feel better." But it didn't start to feel better; it got worse and worse over the next half hour, until she was crying about the pain, not only in her head but also now through her whole body, and the nausea, and the fact that her vision was blurry and she couldn't understand anything people were saying... It escalated pretty quickly. So yesterday was basically taken up with injury recovery - rest, water, no screen time or reading, audiobooks to prevent eyestrain, a chiropractor adjustment. Todd brought her flowers in the evening to help her feel better.
In other news, Callista's current favorite activities are brushing my hair (and insisting I remove my glasses for it, so she can regularly stop to poke me in the eyes with her finger), and playing "naptime," where she gathers nap supplies and lays on the floor, pretending to sleep.
As for the pregnancy update: still huge, still tired. Starting to subsist mostly on a liquid diet of chocolate almond milk (with collagen in it for protein) because eating anything solid during the day makes me too tired to function. Flossy flossy.
And that brings us to today. I'm hoping to run some errands and finish up some schoolwork for the week. And then this weekend I plan to sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeep… if Callista's bowels cool it for a hot second and don't necessitate constant overnight diaper changes. One can hope.













1 comment :
i LOVE book club (or Narnia club or whatever we end up calling it). it's been a huge hit for the kids and I really look fwd to it. it's been a fun week with 1/2 bdays and Finneas' full on birthday. it's been full. full of good things and the difficulties that come with having so many good things. like you, i'm looking fwd to getting some sleep this weekend! this may be the first weekend in a while without ANY snow!!!
Post a Comment