Here's a quick summary of why I'm finding these books worth my time at the moment! (Just a heads-up: these are affiliate links, and I do receive a small commission when you order through the links. Just know that I promise to spend any earnings I may make on more books that I can tell you about later, so let that nudge you in whatever direction it will.)
The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson - I actually read this last month, but am already chomping at the bit to go back and read it again. It was so full of encouragement, wisdom, straight-talk, and practical advice. Not pushing Edith Schaeffer aside or anything, but I think Sally Clarkson is my new obsession. (Actually, Sally Clarkson says she's drawn a lot of wisdom from Edith Schaeffer specifically, so that's probably why I like her so much.)
John Adams by David McCullough - I read this a few years ago, and am re-reading it. Slowly. It's hefty. I love all the insights John Adams himself gave on virtue, education, family and democracy. (Also, did you know he was a fifth-generation American? Forty years old at the time of the Revolutionary War, and he was already among the fifth generation born on American soil. Think about that for a second. Incredible.) Though I'm still actively in it, this one will probably take me another couple of months to wrap up, and I'm okay with that.
Own Your Life: Living with Deep Intention, Bold Faith and Generous Love by Sally Clarkson - excited to jump into this one for the first time after getting so much encouragement from The Mission of Motherhood. I think I'm fangirling. (Just FYI: Blogger did not flag 'fangirling' as a nonexistent word. We live in a world where that's a real word. LMK how you feel about that.)
Treasuring God in our Traditions by Noel Piper - I'm on a kick right now where I'm desperate to learn about investing in Family Culture: intentionally putting practices into place that reinforce our values, as well as our family identity. Giving my kids the gift of traditions and routines that emphasize, "This is what Van Voorsts celebrate, and why," and, "This is how Van Voorsts celebrate those things." I'm nearly done with this book, and it's so full of "what, why, and how" wisdom and suggestions. I'm finding it really helpful. Also... Noel Piper. Can't go wrong there.
The Story of the Trapp Family Singers by Maria Augusta Trapp - you know. The Sound of Music family. (Though the book goes on to tell about three additional children they had after the original seven in the musical - a family with ten kids!) I always love a good large family memoir, and this one involves escaping the Nazis. Sign me up.
Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton - because Todd suggested it to me, and he seems to have more faith in my ability to understand theological tomes than I have in myself. I will (hopefully) rise to the occasion and prove him right.
The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning by Margareta Magnusson - about how the Swedish prioritize purging their belongings in their older age as an act of blessing to their families. It's not a sad thing for people to do, but actually really empowering. Fascinating!
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling - I have to admit, I have finished this one already since taking the above photo, so it's no longer in my stack. This book is the corner-turner in the series, I think. The first three are good, but this is where HP gets goooooood.
The Year and Our Children by Mary Reed Newland - so, this is a Catholic resource, and therefore much of it is not relevant in our home, but there's meat in here: how do we live our lives in such a way that reflects and celebrates the Christian (liturgical) calendar as the backbone of our days, months and years? How do the major events in the life of Christ and the universal Church (Christmas, Good Friday, Easter, Ascension, Pentecost) influence how we live and how we celebrate?
So there are the books I've had my nose in for the last week or two. I'm hoping that this slow season of Advent will afford me lots of time to read! What are you reading right now?

2 comments :
i've really enjoyed the insights you've shared from Clarkson and Piper respectively and i'm confident that if Penelope can read Orthodoxy, you can too :)
I am currently reading a 1 Peter study by Jen Wilkin and Dissolving Illusions by Suzanne Humphries. Many of your current reads are books that I own but have not yet read. :-) I was introduced to Clarkson a year-and-a-half ago in a women's study and I was really encouraged by her voice for homemaking and homeschooling beautifully.
Post a Comment