Pages

what's up weekly.

Last Saturday, Rocco turned two!  So we headed out of town for the weekend to celebrate at my parents' house.  I still can't believe he's two.  Partly because the time goes so quickly, and partly because he still takes a bottle like a giant baby.



I know, I know.  He's way too old to be taking a bottle; you don't have to convince me.  But if you want to fight about it, take it up with him.  He will NOT be convinced otherwise.  This summer, we went to South Dakota to visit Todd's parents, and I forgot the bottle at home, so I figured it would be a good time to transition him to a sippy cup.  He did not drink an ounce the entire week we were there.  That's how stubborn he is about this.  So here's to hoping there isn't a bottle photo taken on his third birthday, but I can't promise anything.

To get you to stop riding my back about the bottle, I'll distract you with something else you can judge me for: he got chocolate chips on his birthday oatmeal.  Want to fight about it?



I'll tell you more about his party next week, but long story short, it was dinosaur-themed, which means two things: a morning at the dino exhibit at the Science Center, and foam dinosaur masks for one and all.  SO fun!






He got magnet letters for his birthday, and Penelope wasted no time in flexing her creative muscles.


Hi I'm 7.  Mom is in the kitchen, Dad is napping.  To bug him, yell: 424803[...]


On Saturday night, my mom and stepdad watched the kids so we could go on a date night with my sister and her husband.  It was AMAZING.  First, we stopped to look at the house they're buying (!!), then we went to this place called the Cheese Bar, where it's basically All Cheese, All the Time, so you know it was right up my alley.  Then we stopped and grabbed coffee.

Sunday morning we went to church with my parents, then headed for home.



Monday was spent resting and recovering.  I don't know why, but I am just so easily exhausted anymore.  So it was nice to have a day to rest, because Tuesday was scheduled to be insane: two dentist appointments, a speech therapy appointment, an afternoon gardening with the folks from the CCUA to get my garden beds ready for winter, connection group, and overnight guests. 

So when Callista was awake for much of the night on Monday, the first thing I did Tuesday morning was cancel our dentist appointments.  Then my overnight guests ended up needing to take a rain check, so that freed up the day a bit.  The biggest undertaking that day was getting all the dead plants pulled out of my garden, covering everything with lots of compost and straw, and planting garlic and onions.

On Wednesday, the piano tuner came, because the kids have started lessons and any time they open the lid to play, it sounds like a freaking car crash.  It turns out that my piano is nearly an entire half-step flat, which is why it sounds so god-awful when they try to play along with the lessons.  (We're using Hoffman Academy online lessons, so it's painfully obvious that our piano doesn't match the instructor's.)  But the good news is that it appears that someone dumped some serious money into this piano at one point, since the piano tuner said all the guts have basically been redone and are pretty new.  Not too shabby for a free, hand-me-down, hundred-year-old piano.




And last night, some of our very favorite Cedar Falls babysitters arrived to spend a few days in Columbia, and we couldn't be more excited.  We just love Ellie and Bethany, and the kids are basically foaming at the mouth.  This photo was taken last fall when they came down to visit, and we're hoping to recreate it (plus Callista).





Have a great weekend!

1 comment :

todd said...

it's a good and busy life. it's good and busy, good, and also busy.