Pages

what's up weekly.

Oh, this week.  So normal.  So not-normal.  So, basically like every other week.  (I need to start getting realistic about that fact that, with this many people in the house, there is no real chance for boring weeks anymore.)

Saturday morning, Todd got a text from a friend saying that they had three extra tickets for the Mizzou game that day, and asking if we'd like to take advantage.  Spur-of-the-moment plans are sometimes difficult for us, but we figured it would never be easier on us to get some of the kids to a game - the weather was nice, the tickets were free, and our friends even gave us a parking pass.  So it was kind of a no-brainer; Todd took the two older boys.


A post shared by Todd Van Voorst (@toddhenryvanvoorst) on



Penelope and I spent our alone time while the boys were gone playing chess and checkers.  (The littler kids were all down for nap.)  She is, unsurprisingly, really good at chess.

Sunday morning, we had church in the park, but it was raining like crazy... and we had record-breaking attendance.  Go figure.  When the kids get ready to go out the door, they (of their own volition, because they saw it in a movie) line up in age-order and yell in unison, "WE'RE READY!!" Even Rocco yells, "Yeh-yeh," which is Toddler for "ready."  It's hilarious to see him automatically take his place in line with them.  (Ignore the terrible lighting - our house is a verifiable cave when it's cloudy outside.)



Monday morning, I had an orthodontist appointment to get my new retainers, but it didn't really matter in the end because I FOUND MY OLD RETAINERRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!  There are not enough exclamation points.  I'm a very happy camper.

Here's a very unhappy camper, for your viewing pleasure:



Tuesday, Atticus had a dentist appointment.  The x-rays show that we have healed three of his six cavities completely!  Can you believe that?  We got the decay in his teeth to halt, and healthy tooth matter to actually grow back.  That's the great news!  The bad news is that one of the cavities that didn't heal will need to be pulled.  Poor kid.

Tuesday night, Penelope lost a tooth while we were at Connection Group!  She now sports the most adorable lisp you've ever heard.  Paired with the fact that she's started using the phrase, "According to my observations..." and is working on her (astonishingly good) fiction series, "Kyan: Alpha Wolf," she's obviously the cutest, nerdiest, most fun seven year old on the planet.




The babysitter snapped this photo right after Penen lost the tooth.  There was apparently a lot of blood involved, but she doesn't look too shaken up about it!


Wednesday, we stopped at Lowe's and Atticus got his very own hacksaw and miter box.  I resupplied him with nails and a replacement pair of leather gloves (his old ones have worn through), and he has spent 48 of the last 24 hours out in the garage, building all kinds of things out of scrap lumber from a friend.  (Doll bunk beds, book shelves, picture frames... all made out of the 8-inch long scraps of a bunch of 2x4's.)



Thursday was boring in the best way.  I cleaned the kitchen and spent a few hours reading.  (I'll tell you next week about where I find the time to read as much as I do.)  A clean house and a good book? Yes. Please.  Throw in a couple cuddles with these little marshmallows, and I couldn't ask for anything better:




Today is another good-boring day: nature study, artist and composer study, tea time.  Takeout for dinner.  More books.  The best kind of day.

And here's Rocco to play you home on this fine Friday:


5 comments :

Lissa said...

So wait, was the old retainer found in time or had you already paid for the new one?

Paige at The Minivan Voorsts said...

I had already paid for the new one, which stinks! But the old one actually holds my teeth where they should be - the new one was just going to be holding them in their newly shifted position. So I'll be sticking with the old one, even though I shelled out for the new one already.

todd said...

when you look back at it like that, you realize how full our weeks get sometimes!

Danielle Tiarks said...

Wait, but WHERE did you find it?!

Paige at The Minivan Voorsts said...

It was in the base of the cabinet! I had emptied all the drawers to look for it, but I had not actually pulled them out of the cabinet itself. It must've fallen out and behind the top drawer, and dropped all the way to the bottom, underneath the track for the bottom drawer. Such an obvious-and-also-obscure place to have looked.