Over the weekend, my parents came down to help celebrate Penelope's birthday. Penelope wanted a 'bumblebee' themed party, and my mom delivered. She made a bumblebee cake, complete with rock candy 'honeycomb,' which was adorable and loved by all - literally, all, as it was even gluten-free, so Callista and I got to join in the fun!
Finneas, showing how much he loves the cake by taking on the 'cheesiest smile' challenge.
Penelope is a 'gifts' person - she loves giving gifts, and she loves receiving them. And she got some great ones this year. In addition to the small cards and presents her siblings made her, Finneas also bought her The Sound of Music (and gave her an old "Pizza Party" cap he no longer wears). She also got a set of the first five Nancy Drew books, which have totally enraptured both her and Atticus all week. (This is the first time Atticus hasn't wanted to put a fiction book down, and he finished one of the books in under twenty-four hours.) And she got a kit to make glitter bracelets, which she's crazy thrilled about! All in all, she was delighted, and felt so loved by the gifts everyone gave her.
The day of the party, Rocco turned three-and-a-half. Which is weird. On the one hand, I am shocked he's getting closer and closer to four - that's preschool age! How can he be a preschooler when he's still a tiny baby? On the other hand, how is he still only three? He's so articulate and participates in pretty much all the 'big kid' stuff.
Most of the rest of the week was spent camped out and cuddling. This is what most of my days look like at this point:
Everything needed for a good day is close at hand: a sweet baby, a good book, some chocolate, and my phone.
Juniper has been having rough nights this week, so I've been doing what I can to rest during the day, but because the weather has been so beautiful and I'm wanting the kids to play outside as much as possible, I haven't napped much. (I don't allow them to be outside while I'm asleep.) I did endeavor to undertake reorganizing our clothing bins while the kids were outside - I'm always trying to get more creative with our storage in this house. I purged a bunch of clothes in less-than-stellar shape, keeping only what will actually get use again, and inventorying items that need to be replaced. I plan to vacuum seal each size of clothing, putting multiple vacuum bags in each bin. Hopefully that will free up some physical space (and mental space)!
We got quite a bit of school done this week, and I graded a bunch of papers from last term. I added up our logged hours, and the kids have officially done everything legally required of them for the year! While I do still have some work I'm wanting us to accomplish through May and June (we're on a year-round schedule), it's a huge relief to know that I don't have to log anything for state requirements from here on out!
And other than that, our week has mainly consisted of fighting over who gets to be the lucky duck that gets to hold Juniper at any given moment. This has been a really wonderful season of cocooning and getting to know our newest sweet girl.

Penelope is like a baby whisperer - she knows just how to hold Juniper to calm her down when she's fussy.
And just like that, another week is in the books! Happy weekend, friends!
















1 comment :
as the kids get bigger it gets more confusing as to whether the number they are holding (9 in this case) is their age or just a running head count of people currently in the photo :)
Post a Comment