Now that we're a full two weeks out from the event itself, I figured it's high time to start documenting our early days with our sweet girl. It has been hard finding the time to blog - I rarely have two hands free, and when I do, Callista is dead-set on trying to write a blog post herself, so she won't leave the computer alone long enough for me to type!
The kids came to the hospital our second day there to meet Juniper. It must've been a strange experience for them - because I went into labor so 'early' (it's all relative, but anything earlier than 40 weeks is early for me), we hadn't prepped them with plans for what to expect. So they woke up the day of Juniper's birth to find a friend of mine sleeping here, and Todd and I nowhere to be found, since I went into labor overnight. They were excited to learn it was "Baby Day!" but they didn't get to come see her until the following day. In the meantime, my mom arrived and took over kid duty, and together they baked cupcakes to bring to the hospital for a Birth Day Party.
I hadn't been sure how Callista would respond to the new baby. She had been around plenty of babies before, and while she seemed to like them, she was never super interested in them - unless I was holding them, in which case she'd try to push them off my lap. I was a little worried she'd take some time to warm up to her new sister.
HOWEVER. When everyone arrived at our room, and she saw Juniper for the first time, Callista pretty much launched herself out of my mom's arms and onto the bed, where she forcefully wrestled Juniper out of my arms and into her own. As long as she was holding the baby, she was super calm and quiet. But if anyone attempted to take Juniper away, or if anyone else held her, Callista would lose her mind. It was clear she knew that this baby was her baby, and a strong bond was formed in her mind right away!
Everyone else was pretty much in awe as well.
(And just because Rocco's self-chosen and saucy pose cracks me up...)
After that, each kid took a turn holding their new sister. I just love the unique expressions of amazement and joy on each of their faces!
Unfortunately, the entire time the bigger kids were having heartfelt moments with Juniper, Callista was not loving the fact that she was not the one with sole possession.
Luckily, custody was regranted eventually and things went back to relative calm.
It was finally time to break out the cupcakes, which distracted Callista long enough for my mom to actually get to hold Juniper...
… and eventually we discovered that my water cup was nearly as endearing to her as the baby, so she was pacified with that for a while. (Until it was time for everyone to leave and both the baby and the cup were taken from her, at which point Callista had to be carried out the door, screaming.)
It was such a sweet visit getting to introduce Juniper to her big siblings. They are so enamored with her! Rocco continues to ask me every few days, "Do I get to keep my new sister forever??!" It's such a beautiful thing to watch them love each other so fully and loyally from Day One. I'm so grateful for each one of them!

















1 comment :
i love these pictures. it is fun to revisit this initial visit. i love their faces as they look at their new little family member and that they have so quickly adopted her as theirs. she is their people, their sister, their family, their responsibility, their joy.
Post a Comment