Pages

what's up weekly.

Last week when I was playing catch-up, I still ended up a week behind, so let me fill you in on what has been happening over our last couple of weeks.  (At least, the few minutes every day when we're not at the pool.)

First, Oey celebrated her half-birthday.  She spent the entire day super confused about where her presents and special meals were.  The half-birthday is a phenomenon that we somehow celebrate way more and way less than is expected by those around us.



The neighbor invited the boys over to make a birdhouse.  He showed them how to use the saw and walked them through assembling it.  They'll stain it soon.  You'll have to trust me - it turned out adorable, I just don't have photos of it yet.  




Lolo planned and hosted a Harry Potter watch party for her siblings.  She had been planning for it for months, but I didn't have the bandwidth during the school year to make it happen.  She planned out a menu, and activities, and decorations, and even costumes!  It was so much fun.


Her menu included Butter Beer (root beer and cream soda); Felix Felicis (honey sticks); Butter Beer Popcorn (caramel corn); magic wands (pretzel sticks dipped in almond bark); and mandrakes (chocolate cupcake dirt with marzipan).  A lot of her ideas came from a Harry Potter baking book she got as a gift a while ago - she often just sits and pores through it.



The tickets to get into the movie


She gave out light-up wands as party favors and set up Olivander's Wand Shop where they could all bring galleons and pick out a wand.  (She lost the galleons she made, so they paid with quarters I gave them.)



She arranged to borrow some capes and cloaks from a friend so we would have enough.



There was time to color some pictures



and grab a snack.  Then we all snuggled up and watched Prisoner of Azkaban.

I had some help in the kitchen this week.  Oey helped me figure out the cheese grater I got at an estate sale.  I'm still not sure I'm using it right, but at least the view was cute.



The kids played outside constantly.


Juni found the world's tiniest slug


Callista drew a self-portrait in chalk


Our microwave broke, and you know what that means: a brand new one that came in a brand new cardboard box!  Oh glory be!



Box of Sisters


Knox loves helping me work around the house.  He has a tiny broom and a tiny vacuum, and he loves to wipe up spills.  He's rescuing me from being victimized by the mess.  Here he is, summiting Mt. St. Laundry for me.



Todd installed our new microwave.



And put down pretty new pavers in the rock bed.



And got a party speaker for Father's Day!  We celebrated his day with church (he preached that morning), gifts, a dance party, and a popcorn party for dinner while we watched Courageous.



Other items of note:  I got to meet a friend for coffee - in. the. middle. of. the. day.  We both have teenagers who can watch our younger kids, so instead of a "playdate" situation, we decided to meet up JUST THE TWO OF US.  It was crazy.  Second-decade parenting never ceases to blow my mind.  

And on the same subject, Todd and I got out for a date night this week.  (Thai food and a trip to Goodwill, which is my favorite.)  The kids did a great job holding down the fort at home, and when we got home, we had birthday cake and watched Storks in our annual celebration of the Roe v. Wade reversal decision.  We call it Birth Day.)

And last, we've been maxing out our pool pass since we got it last week, and Callista has already taught herself how to swim.  Juni is getting close to getting it as well.  Penelope was brave yesterday and faced her fear of the diving board.  Lolo has mastered the underwater glide, and Rocco is working on his side stroke.  Finneas has done flips off the diving board.  Oey is her usual fearless self, but is kind of a space cadet, so she wanders and has to be watched like a hawk.  In other words, they are all taking to swimming like a fish to water.  Today we will try bringing the babies along to see what they think.  Maybe I'll actually get some photos.

And that's how our summer is summering.  Viva summer!  I could live in June forever.



1 comment :

todd said...

lolo's potter party was amazing. i'm always amazed at the genius and creativity of kids. it's a good life.