Pages

what's up weekly. (in which I receive a debatable compliment.)

Oh, you guys.  I'm going to be so quick tonight because I am just beat.  I am really starting to feel pregnant, and I have so little energy at the end of the day.  I'm eating well (enough), sleeping well, and exercising regularly, but I still can't muster any oomph.  I am going to start taking an iron supplement, and my midwife thinks I'm not eating enough through the day (ha! I doubt it, but if someone is telling me to eat more, I'll take one for the team).  Hopefully I can rally, or this is going to be a long THREE AND A HALF MONTHS before the baby comes, as my energy levels continue to drop.  




Speaking of my midwife, I had my second appointment yesterday and heard the baby's heartbeat again.  She said the baby is definitely head down - she said she's not sure that in her 42 years of practice she's ever seen a baby go head down this early, and that tells her that I must have a "tremendous pelvis."  I was too afraid to ask if that's a compliment or just a nice way of saying "monstrous."  (This is where I would normally insert a "yikes" emoji, because I've gotten used to the social media regression into heiroglyphics, but I'm limited to the King's English here on blogger, so you'll just have to imagine the "yikes" eyes and teeth.)  Todd said he's going to have that engraved on my tombstone: "Here lies Paige 'Tremendous Pelvis' Van Voorst."  I'd rest in peace, but I'm sure my pelvis would get in the way, so eternity might feel a little long.

Anyway.  That's the pregnancy update.  I have been continuing to try to get quite a bit of canning done this week.  It may be bordering on compulsive at this point? I'm not sure.  I just vividly recall how much pain I was in at the end of my pregnancy with Ophelia, and how difficult even simple daily cooking became, much less preparing extras for postpartum.  I think I feel better knowing I can get things on the shelves and into the freezer on the early side, just in case I really do burn out completely at some point.  So this week I canned some ground beef, taco soup, sloppy joes, pot roast, and black beans.  Later today, I'm going to throw together a shepherd's pie for the freezer.  We're definitely making progress in postpartum food prep.

One area in which we're not making progress is the leak in the basement.  The City came out yesterday to take a look, to make sure the water we're getting isn't from a leaking meter, but it doesn't seem to be.  But we're definitely still getting water, so... I don't know.  Luckily the drywall isn't wet, it's just kind of seeping between the floor and the trim.  So as long as we keep towels down and keep the carpet pulled back, nothing seems to be getting damaged.  But good gravy, I'm starting to just get sick of not knowing what's happening or how to fix it. But we'll get it figured out.



Okay, enough griping; let's talk about a win.  Atticus took his permit test on Friday and PASSED!  This was his third try, and even all the green haired surly girlies at the DMV entered the celebration when he passed this time (with flying colors) and called out "congratulations, Atticus!" from behind their desks when they were notified he successfully completed his test.  He had been so nervous going into it - he had studied hard, but was just nervous.  He kept reciting Psalms to himself as he waited to be called for his test, and then when he passed, his joy was so genuine and total - it was a sweet moment to share with him.  He kept thanking God, and praying, and saying he knows it wasn't by his own effort.  It is a such a joy to see my children embracing their own relationships with the Lord, and learning to depend on him for their needs.


This is, weirdly, his temporary permit.  It is literally just a receipt with his face on it.  We're told his regular card will come in the mail soon.

We haven't gone out driving yet, but that's next on the list.

Okay, what else?  The weather has been so beautiful, and since I cancelled school yesterday for my midwife appointment, the kids basically spent the entire day outside.  This false spring is tempting me to put a lot of hope into it.  I have to keep telling myself it will get cold again, but that's okay... that's okay... it's going to be okay...  But I am ready for spring!  I want to finish planting a boxwood hedge around the front and getting rid of the landscaping rock in favor of mulch.  I also am wanting to plant something low maintenance in my veggie garden beds, and maybe plant a few flowers in the back.  Obviously I'll be preoccupied this summer and won't be in a season where extended plant care is a possibility, but I keep thinking that if spring starts early enough, maybe I'll at least be able to get some low maintenance things in the ground before the baby comes.



And I think that basically covers our week!  Tonight we have a Psalm Sing with our church, and my family is coming into town for the day tomorrow, so it should be a full, fun weekend!


The kids' new favorite after-dinner thing is pretending to be a rock band.  My new favorite after-dinner thing is watching Oey get really into it, too.


1 comment :

todd said...

this new post-dinner rock band jam has been hilarious. it is so much fun watching Oey jump in and participate with the big kids lately. :)