This week was perhaps our most low-key week this summer. On Friday night, we had a Psalm Sing, which is always one of our favorite nights of the month.
Business up front.
Party in the back.
On Saturday, Todd and I finally got the dishwasher moved out of the kitchen. It was leaking, it was stinking, it was time. So now we have this glamorous hole here. I think I might turn it into a small sculpture garden, maybe a terrarium. Maybe put a fish tank in there. The world is my oyster. And by "world", I mean "dishwasher hole", and by "oyster", I mean "dishwasher hole."
I crossed off the last remaining items on my school prep list, like familiarizing myself with our new grammar and spelling curricula. I am finally ready for the school year! We don't start for another 3.5 weeks, so I'm not going to be jumping in immediately,, but it's nice to know all the things I was hoping to get squared away before we start got done.
HOW GOOD IS HER PAINTING?!
I ran a few errands, like picking up high protein feed for the new Buff Orpington chickens we're going to be introducing to our flock soon. A friend found them at a chicken auction, but they'd picked on pretty badly by their previous flock and have some bald patches that need to fill back in. I'm really excited - I have missed having Orpingtons since our two met their demise (one was lost to the pit bulls, one was lost to a racoon that got in the run when we were out too late one evening). I wasn't really planning on replacing them, but then my friend asked me if I wanted her to keep her eyes peeled for anything at the auction, and I told her I could make room only if she found cheap Orpingtons, and no more than two. So our new ladies were only $6.50 each, and were conveniently sold in a lot of two, and are already laying. Score! Callista and Juni, the owners of aforementioned deceased chickens, got the honors of naming the new gals, so they shall henceforth be called Rosie and ChickenMine.
Also on my errands, I stopped at Goodwill to get rid of a bunch of stuff (praise the Lord! I finished cleaning out our storage room last week, so it felt so good to physically get rid of the things that got purged). I also picked up a bunch of holds at the library, including a few "make ahead" cookbooks. As I anticipate the upcoming school year, I really think I'm going to need to get creative with the schedule. One of my goals is to have dinner started by 10:00 most days. Take the meat out, get the pot roast in, assemble the soup and leave it simmering, that kind of thing. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate crock pot meals, but I think there is definitely a way to start thinking about meals that are prepped at the beginning of the day, and nearly ready by the time everyone's hungry for dinner. So I'm going to start getting my wheels turning on that.
Let's see, what else?
Oey is the center of attention, like always. The kids are getting her to walk around holding their hands, but she still shows no interest in walking independently.
Where Oey is, they gather.
We had a few days of, dare I say it, cool weather. Cooler, anyway. Now it's supposed to shoot back up starting today, but that's okay. It'll keep the garden growing. I took advantage of the cooler days to haul chicken poop water all over our yard. Here's the sitch. I had cleaned out the coop a week or two ago, put all the nasty stuff in an old kiddie pool, and was planning to haul it right away. But then it rained. And rained. And rained. So I was left with a kiddie pool full of poop slurry. So this week, I used a bucket to use all the dirty water to water my hostas and hydrangeas and boxwoods, and then I moved the soggy rest of it to the empty end of my outer veggie garden to wait until I can work it into the soil after the plants are pulled out. It's a glamorous life I do live.
And that's about it, other than the noteworthy fact that Todd and I celebrated our sixteenth wedding anniversary. In Todd's words, our marriage "is officially old enough to drive." I just told him the other night, "I don't think I can communicate just how content I am with my life." It's a really, really good life we have built. I still like him so much.
We didn't do anything fancy to celebrate (nothing that would warrant busting out the Microsoft Paint over), but I did cook steaks, which in this economy is basically like saying we took a quick trip to Disney.
And that was our week! It was restful and fun, and I'm excited for another one just like it (minus the anniversary) next week!












3 comments :
happy vanniversary!
Okay, Ms. Paige, I am going to need you to zoom in on your school year prep for me. :-) I'd love to hear how you are tweaking and what will remain the same, what you're excited about, Etc. :-) also, for blog ideas, what are you reading right now that you would recommend or warn us about? :-)
Post a Comment