First, we made stuff.
I canned up some cranberry sauce and unsweetened cranberry juice.
Penelope made a beautiful and delicious pecan pie.
She also made frozen custard and let Lissy help mix it.
Lolo made a pumpkin pie, here pictured pre-baked.
The kids made Christmas-themed sidewalk art...
...such as this portrait of Kevin McAllister.
I continued to plug away at the Project That Never Ends. Luckily, I had my right hand gal by my side.
Lolo made a tiny nativity set.
Also, she looked beautiful doing it.
Still Coop.
This door turned out so crooked it is comical.
Done enough. I will have to redo the door at some point but it's secure enough for the chickens to run around in there during the day, so I'm clearly very happy.
Okay, so I technically didn't make this, but I hung a retractable clothesline, which has made airdrying my table linens much easier.
And third of all, we Thanksgivinged.
We'd had plans to go up to Iowa for Thanksgiving, but when everyone ended up sick, we had to pivot. I bought a frozen turkey at the last minute, and spent eight hours thawing it in the tub, then fourteen hours brining it, then four hours roasting it, and it was done just in time for us to eat.
Mmmmmm, tasty. That's the turkey, weighted down with a pan lid, floating in a rubbermaid tub in the bathtub for easy water changes. Nothing like eating a turkey that has been in your tub, and showering in a tub that has contained a raw turkey. But don't you worry; no health department citations here.
Different kids felt good on different days, so I had a lot of help with prep from my healthy-for-now kids and dinner ended up being so good. Turkey, potatoes, homemade stuffing, homemade cranberry sauce, green salad, rolls, green beans... and then FOUR DIFFERENT DESSERTS, all made by the girls. (Pumpkin pie, pecan pie, apple crisp and homemade ice cream.)
And now, because you've stuck with me thus far, I have a couple of bonus items of note just for you. As a reward. Congratulations, and you're welcome.
Atticus has gotten a few opportunities to make some money raking leaves in the neighborhood, and he does such a good job. Unfortunately, it's the next door neighbor's yard, and it ends up making our yard look trashy by comparison. So I did make them rake this week, just to keep up with the Joneses.
Look at that distinct property line. This kid was not fooling around.
Teeth are falling out all over the place over here. Laurelai lost a sanctioned tooth and promptly put it in a ziplock baggy for safe keeping, just like all of their baby teeth. Its name is Mr. Dr. Dinky. Rocco fell of his bike and chipped part of a keeper off. Too bad.
He doesn't look as sad about it as I feel.
And in Christmas news, we went to pick out our Christmas tree this week!
Unfortunately, Home Depot didn't have a great selection, and while I was wanting a nine-foot tree that was big and full, I ended up with an eight-foot tree that progressively balds towards the bottom. Turns out the difference between expectation and reality isn't subtle.
It looks even worse in the daylight, with the sun shining right through it.
So let's take our eyes off this sad little buddy and put them on those cuter buddies down there...
I have since moved the rinkydink tree (whom we have named Patchy) to the basement family room, and we are hoping to get a better tree from a nearby tree farm over the weekend if everyone is feeling well. We are the kind of uppity ups that will now have TWO trees in their house, even though at least one of them is decidedly not uppity-looking.
Again, congratulations, and you're welcome.






























2 comments :
WE have 2 trees 😬. I love it and we get different varieties of real so that has been fun, too.
patchy must be related to little billy, jr. perhaps a long, lost, balding brother?
Post a Comment