Pages

what's up weekly. (no news is good news? or, no news is... still no news.)

Well, friends, I wish I had more to report.  Last weekend we went to Leavenworth to house hunt.  It was quite the ordeal - we headed up to the Amish first thing Saturday morning, then drove back home and put all our milk away in the fridge.  Then we had all the kids go potty and we loaded right back into the van to drive the three hours to Leavenworth.  (Google Maps says it's 2.5 hours from here, but Google Maps doesn't have toddlers in the car with it, and also didn't give us the heads-up that a semi-trailer would have CAUGHT FIRE ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD and we'd be in stand-still traffic on the interstate for half an hour.  Moral of the story: ALWAYS budget extra time.)

When we got into town, we met up with our realtor and looked at a bunch of houses.  The housing market is just nuts right now - everything is crazy expensive, and even then there isn't much to choose from.  There was one house that we saw that seemed to at least be a contender, but it was still on the small side and needs a lot of updating so we've hesitated to put in an offer.  The other four houses we saw were just not right for our needs, and a couple of them were just downright shocking.

So, after all of that, we met up with some Leavenworth friends at a playground for a bit, then headed home.  It was such a full day, with so much car time, but the kids did amazingly well.  Which is good, because we're going to have to do it again this weekend.  Please be praying we find something!


We learned to clip the chicken's wings so they stop flying over the fence.


Since then, this week has not held much of major note.  Lots of hanging out at home and playing, and continuing to enjoy summer break.  Because I've done so much packing already and we aren't moving until September now, I have very little going on.  So I did some canning.  Todd found a killer deal on organic raspberries - $1/pint, so I had him buy 30 pints and I canned up some whole raspberries and some jam.


We saved $119.  NBD.


Penelope washed them while I got my canner set up and my jars washed.



I also did some quarts of ham broth, and I'm going to be trying my hand at some applesauce later today.  I am really enjoying canning - it feels like a creative outlet that has an actual practical purpose for me.  Hobbies that don't meet an actual need are so hard for me to sustain.


Ophelia loves it when Penelope serenades her.


I also got our school books ordered this week and started planning our schedule.  I was going to wait to do all of this until we get to the new house - primarily so we don't have to pack and move all of the new books - but now that we're going to be here much longer than we'd originally thought, I figured I'd get on it now rather than waiting to even do any planning until we get settled in the new house.  So I ordered all of next year's stuff... and then our bank account got flagged for fraud because apparently that is too much money for a normal human person to spend on books in one night.

In Kidland news, Atticus and Ophelia are thick as thieves.






Also, Juni could not be any cuter.


Juni found some painter's tape and made herself a mustache.  She is a huge ham.



 I have a personal stylist.  Now, if she would just double as a house cleaner, my life would be on track.



It's hard to see, but she asked me to tie her blankie around her neck and back, and she put her snuggly penguin in it like it was an Ergo.  We were twin moms.





And that was pretty much it for the week.  Books should start rolling into the mailbox today, so I'm hoping to get started on scheduling next week.  I'm excited to see what next school year holds for us - and where we'll end up!

2 comments :

todd said...

i like your canning as well. i like that you enjoy it so much and that it makes good use of time on one end and saves you a bunch of time on the other end. it allows us to shelve a bunch of high quality. thanks for taking the initiative and learning that skill. it benefits us all. and it's fun to watch you all working together and the kids learning skills at a young age that they can turn around and teach their kids. you are, in many ways, teaching your great granddaughters how to can by teaching your daughters to teach their daughters to teach their daughters. how cool is that?

birdie00 said...

What state are you moving to? I can't seem to find you on the map lol