Pages

what's up weekly. (no final baby news to report yet.)

This week was kind of busy, and I was thankful for that!  On Saturday, we celebrated Atticus' 13th birthday (even though his birthday wasn't officially until Sunday).  He requested waffles for breakfast, which Todd was kind enough to make for him.  After breakfast, Todd and the kids made our Amish run (I was still struggling with Covid symptoms, though not nearly as badly as I had been before, so I stayed home and put out a nativity set.  That was all I had energy for), then it was back home for a parrrrrtayy.





I literally didn't even take the price stickers off the bottle brush trees because I was too exhausted.


Little tiny bits at a time.  I have some red wooden bead garlands that I want to swag along the shelf, but I haven't mustered the energy yet.  BUT I did pull out our old Ikea pillow because I thought it might look festive.



Someday I will make curtains/roman blinds for the basement.  And then as soon as I get that done, it will be time to move.  That is how life works.  So maybe it's for the best that I still don't have curtains.

When Todd and the kids got home, we had sandwiches at Atticus' request, and then opened presents.


I had forgotten I used to do big deli meat sandwich spreads all the time for the kids' birthday parties!  Then we switched to tacos and I forgot all about sandwiches.  But Atticus didn't.





I love watching the faces of the givers of gifts - they love watching the birthday kid open what they got!


From Finneas.





The sweetest part of the whole day was when Atticus surprised the younger boys with toy army men he had purchased for them for his birthday - he thought they would like it, especially since he knew he'd be getting presents that day and that likely the younger boys might be tempted to feel jealous.  THIS KID.  I am always impressed by him.






He is thoughtful and so kind.  He is wonderful and patient with the younger kids.  He talks often about how he can't wait to be a dad (and he will make a great one).  He is hard working and reliable, and he is not a grumbler.  He will eat whatever you serve him, with a thank you, even if he doesn't like it.  He cheerfully helps me literally whenever I ask him - he will stop what he is doing to help me lift something heavy or grab something from the basement.  He is respectful and funny and self-reflective.  He is an amazing artist and hopes to be a published graphic novel artist someday.  He loves being outside and working with his hands.  He has the best belly laugh in the whole world.  I could not be more proud of him than I am, or enjoy his company more than I do.  He is a delight.

After a second afternoon nap for me (shocker), we ordered his birthday dinner from a local barbecue place, had cupcakes, then we watched a Christmas movie as a family.  






After bedtime, Todd surprised him by getting him out of bed, gave him a couple special coming-of-age gifts, and then the two of them sat up late, eating popcorn and watching the movie 1917 - a movie about WWI that Atticus had been really desperate to see, but had been too young.  They stayed up past midnight, so that was how they ushered in his actual birthday.  I think Todd did an amazing job marking such a special milestone for him.




On Sunday, I was still down with the COV, so we did home church.  (I slept through it.  I am not lying when I say this virus kicked my butt.)

Monday was St. Nicholas Day, so I put out the kids' wooden shoes the night before and filled them up with some of our favorite Dutch treats - chocolate letters, chocolate shoes and windmills, little chocolate Saint Nicks and coins, and this year we tried some marzipan candy that was painted like tiny tiny fruit.  I may or may not have bought Ophelia a tiny stroopwafel-shaped teething toy.  And the ever-classic taai-taai cookies that taste like black licorice, because if there is one thing Dutch people seem to love, it's black licorice (and chocolate and marzipan).  As usual, I let them eat most of their treats with meals throughout the day, starting with breakfast.  It's just not St. Nicholas Day without candy for breakfast.



I found these really beautiful, unusual blue-painted shoes at the antique mall this year, and they have easily become my favorites!




Digging in to see what all is in there, and to pick their inaugural piece of candy.




I was tired Monday night, and a friend brought a casserole over, so I warmed that up, completely forgetting that I had planned a cheeseboard for a celebration that night.  In fact, we didn't get our St. Nick cheeseboard made until Wednesday, but that just extended the celebration farther into the week, so the kids actually said they liked the fact that I had forgotten.  Dear, sweet, forgiving kids.




And in other news, today marks three weeks since I got sick, and I can officially say I think I'm through it.  I stopped my meds yesterday, and have a minor lingering cough and some fatigue, but that's all.  I am so glad that's behind me! Now, on to gird up my loins and face labor like a man.  I mean, woman.




My water sprung a little leak Tuesday morning, and I've been laboring at night the last few nights (but contractions stop during the day) so I think we're getting pretty close.  I've been trying to lay low, since my midwife is on vacation until about noon today and I would love to not have to call the backup midwife, so I have tried to stick close to the couch or the bathtub the last day or two.  It has worked so far (though it is actually 11 pm Thursday night as I write this, and I've been having contractions, so I suppose I can't say for certain I will have made it to my midwife's return without having the baby, but as far as I can tell at the moment, it looks that way).  

Hopefully I will have some more definite news to share soon - I am just wanting to get through actual birth.  I have some anxiety about it, and I kind of just want to get it over with and meet Ophelia!  So I'm praying for a quick, easy delivery soon - will you pray that with me?  Thanks!


3 comments :

todd said...

this is such a fun time of year. Advent is awesome. between celebrating Atticus' birthday, St. Nicholas' Day, getting out and reading the annual Advent devos, listening to Christmas music on the Kindle, putting up the decorations, etc... it's just the best. thank you for all you do in cultivating a culture of celebration and festivity in our home. i love what God is allowing us to create here through your ingenuity and aesthetics.

Mark said...

Your posts are wonderful. I love the pictures too! So did I understand that you started labor on the tenth and had her today? Was this your first home birth? I always wanted to have one…

Mark said...

A little creepy that Mark is posting!! Not sure how that happened! Congrats on the new one!
Leatha