What can I say? The man can grow a beard. And he'd been growing this particular one for over a year. It was positively Nazarite.
But, all good things must come to an end. Luckily for this beard, only the ends had to come to an end - it was a cut, not a shave, after all.
Trimmed up and dashing, yes? I don't think the girls have fully forgiven me yet for encouraging this kind of behavior; Callista specifically was very clear that she liked it better before. "Why you do dat, Daddy?" "Mommy thinks it's more handsome this way." "It is not."
Which just forces me to recall the time in 2015 that he grew a big beard, and then shaved it all off and scared baby Laurelai, who didn't even recognize him. (And then Penelope carried the cuttings around in a jar, to which she eventually affixed a face and bestowed the name Beard Jar Todd.)
WHY AM I SO MEAN, provoking my daughters (and my husband) to grief over the fact that I do have my limits? When you can braid a beard, you have too much beard on your hands. Also, I just really miss seeing his sweet face when it gets so long. If liking your husband's face is a crime, then lock me up.
Anyway. What news can compare with that? A number of the Van Voorsts are in mourning as a result; we have just kind of checked out of meaningful participation in life for a while.
FALSE. We have not checked out of meaningful participation in life. In fact, Penelope made an apple crisp with brown butter and bourbon, and if that isn't living life full-tilt, I can't imagine what is.
Also, I am almost done with Christmas shopping, and boxes on boxes on boxes show up on my porch every day. Prepping for the most wonderful time of the year is the most wonderful time of the year.
Also, Todd and I went on a date this week to a wings place, which is my favorite kind of date that isn't a Mexican place or a barbecue place (incidentally, those seem to be the only three restaurants in the closest town that doesn't require masks, so it works out well for me). And also, we are trucking along with school, enjoying the sunshine and beautiful weather, and wasting our youth raking our never-ending yard.
It's been a good week!












1 comment :
bye bye beardy! i think the trim turned out alright. first time trying a beard cut as as opposed to a beard off, which was my only move before. doing my best to be a dapper dan.
Post a Comment