Pages

what's up weekly.

Happy Friday, friends!  We had a fantastic week - not a stinker of a day in the bunch.

Last Saturday, we spent our 'out of town' time in a cute little town with an old college, tons of turn-of-the-century homes, and THE most adorable, classic courthouse you ever did see.  We ate our dinner on the courthouse square...








...then headed to a nearby park to run off the calories.






"Daddy, I mad.  Take a pitcher a-me lookin' like dis."


I have to say it - I am loving these COVID weekends.  What started as a commitment to avoid masks ourselves, and to avoid dumping our money into a city government that is requiring them even though our state is open and our local death rate is (and always has been) extremely low, has become a really memorable time for our family.  The drives are enjoyable, the parks we've discovered are really sweet, our neighboring cities are so stinking cute, and I think we're going to look back on this time as a God-given opportunity to enjoy each other and our area in brand new ways.  Thanks, COVID!

On Sunday, we worshipped at home together.  Normally the little kids draw and the big kids take sermon notes while we listen to the sermon...



...and Penelope decided she'd spend her listening time sketching Doug Wilson.



This week, we jumped into our second week of school, and the younger school kids joined us.  Our weeks are definitely full at this point, but not overwhelming.  Nothing like last year.  I am feeling really optimistic about this school year!





And, spoiler alert, I did take First Day of School photos, but this post is already photo-heavy, so I'll post them next week.  But not without a teaser:



On Tuesday, I took four of the kids with me to a friend's house so we could continue talking about a book we're reading through.  I left Juni home to nap, and the big kids home to work on their schoolwork.  (Before you call CPS, please remember Todd is home during the days!)

Wednesday was a busy day - Amish in the morning, a visit with a friend in the afternoon, and friends over for dinner in the evening.  I like having Wednesdays free from regular schoolwork to be able to be flexible like this in the middle of the week.  It does make for very full, very social days!

Yesterday, we hung around the house, working on school and getting some run-of-the-mill stuff done.  I am getting close to the end of my Western Civ book!  I also worked on the yard, turning the compost pile, deadheading flowers, spraying the never-ending poison ivy.  I'm getting ready to try some liquid aerator on our back yard, in hopes of getting some actual grass to actually grow back there in our hardpacked clay soil.  Wish me luck.

In yard-y news, Penelope's flowers are in bloom!  We are now taking local orders for bouquets - $5 for a small bouquet, $8 for a regular sized bouquet.  (Regular is perfect for a wide mouth mason jar.)  Free delivery, and all money earned is strictly Penelope's to recoup her initial investment, invest further in the business, or count as profit.  We offer free delivery by a sweet delivery girl.




And it's high summer, and you know what that means: more bean tippin'.



And lastly, Callista would like you to know SHE BONK! WIGHT IN DA HEAD! IT HOWT!


She ran right into a cast iron radiator.  And that'll do it.


And I'm off to try my hand at some sourdough bread, set my kombucha for a second ferment, and don my shades for another lovely weekend ahead!

1 comment :

todd said...

It’s true. I have really enjoyed our weekends family adventures. Also, I can’t wait for the first day of school photo post!!!