Pages

'what's up' weekly.

It's Friday, Friday, gotta blog down on Friday.  Also, HOW IS IT FRIDAY?

Does anyone else feel like this week was super weird?  Like time bent or something?  It went fast, then crazy slow, then super fast again for us.

Saturday was Lolo's birthday party!  My parents came down from Iowa, and we all partied like six-year-olds, which meant we ate tacos, and donuts with Hello Kitty confetti all over them.  (Six-year-olds know how to party.)




Our gift to her was big girl bedding, to go on her BRAND NEW BIG GIRL BED!  I had found a gorgeous Jenny Lind bedframe on Facebook that's so old, it was evidently made before standard mattress sizing, but with some modifications it now fits a double mattress.

But you know how I am with decorating projects.  We got Penelope's bed taken out of the room, and the new bed set up, and it was obvious to me that we needed to rearrange things.  After trying a few different positions in the room, I found the perfect spot for it... but it meant taking out the crib.  And once the crib was out, it was obvious the bookshelf needed to move.  And once the bookshelf moved, it was obvious how pretty the old blue and white rug from our living room in Cedar Falls would look in there.  And once the rug was in there, we discovered the pile of the rug was so thick that the closet door wouldn't open, so we removed the closet door...  Like I said, it became a whole 'thing.'  It took up most of the evening on Saturday, but things are mostly situated now.




But now it's obvious the girls need curtains and a bed skirt, and now that the crib has been dismantled, I need to figure out where we're going to put Callista when we move her out of the nursery to make room for Juniper.  (Rocco is now on the toddler mattress that slides under the bed during the day.)  I think the closet is just deep enough to fit a pack and play, so I might put Callista in there.  But if I do that, I will need to find a spot for Penelope's dresser and all the kids' church clothes... Gah.  You solve one problem and cause fourteen million more.  But it will all fall into place at some point, I hope.  In the meantime, it seems people are happy with the current setup.



On Sunday, Todd taught on Genesis 23 at church.  If you haven't listened to it already, you really should.  It was about Sarah's burial, and it was informative and challenging and moving and thought-provoking.

Monday was Labor Day, and Todd was home from work, so we didn't do school.  I spent the morning out on my own - lately, I've needed to take a few hours each week to clear my head and be alone to think.  With vacation and Laurelai's birthday, it had been about three weeks since I'd gotten some space like that, and I was really needing it.  So Todd offered to hold down the fort, and I went to Lowe's to pick up some plants for the front yard.  (The hostas I had planted around the rock a while ago all got sunburned and ravaged by deer, so things were looking pretty sad.)

Later in the day, the kids caught both a skink and a praying mantis.  The skink-catching was pretty impressive since those things are bonkers speedy.  (Oh, don't you know what a skink is?  It's been described by authorities as a snake with legs.  It moves at about the speed of light, and it has a fluorescent blue tail that it can shed when it's in danger, and then respawn.  If that's not the stuff of nightmares, I challenge you to tell me what is.)  Unfortunately, one of the kids removed the lid from the jar the skink was in, and it got out, but not before biting said kid.  So now it has a taste for human flesh, and is lurking somewhere in my garage.  SEE? NIGHTMARES.






Early, early Tuesday morning when I got up to feed Juniper (oh, did I not tell you she's back to waking up to eat in the night?  Dang four-month sleep regression is killing me), I noticed that my head was pounding and my body hurt really badly.  I thought I was just sore from planting stuff the day before, but it turns out I was coming down with something bubonic.  By the time we were set to start school Tuesday, I was completely incapacitated.  Fever, chills, a migraine, body aches, a sore throat, the whole shebang.  My head hurt so badly that I threw up, and the only thing that I could stand to consume all day was a single Snicker's bar and a Diet Coke.  (Those things help speed up healing, according to ancestral wisdom.)

Penelope was so sweet and ran me a bath, and the kids watched a movie in the afternoon so I could nap.  It goes without saying that we didn't do much school.  I was feeling better by the evening, though my throat has continued to hurt for the last few days.  Such a weird, quick punch of a virus.



On Wednesday, we went up to the Amish to get milk in the morning (my friend Irene had her seventh baby on Monday, so I got to see a sweet, brand-new baby wearing THEE most adorable, most miniscule Amish outfit.  I die).  After stopping at the library on our way back into town (and successfully navigating that terrible parking lot WITHOUT flattening anything/anyone with the Kraken!), I just laid low, trying to rest and bounce back from Mystery Virus.

WHICH MEANS THAT YESTERDAY WAS OUR FIRST SCHOOL DAY THIS WEEK.  I am so freaking far behind.  Which is why I love/hate that today is Friday already.  On the one hand, I need it to be Friday.  On the other hand, I have too much to squeeze in before the week's finish line that I need another day before the weekend.  I suppose I could just roll things over into next week, but that's not a sustainable method for long and it's only the second week of school.  I don't want to be pulling those shenanigans already.

But if shenanigans must be pulled, then pull them I must.  Here's to a more boring week next week!

1 comment :

todd said...

the pictures of our house are looking on fleek! the dining room with those bookshelves and art hung on the walls is looking really good and the girls' room looks awesome. great job making our home beautiful, yet livable. we all live our lives in there without feeling like we live in a museum, but also without feeling like we live in the center ring of a three ring circus after the elephants have done their business on the ground. it is the best of both worlds. functional and aesthetically pleasing. it does what we need it to do while rocking high heels and earrings. thank you for all you do to cultivate beauty in our home as your nurture life inside its walls.