Pages

welcome to the world, miss callista!

(Or, as I like to sing in my head to the theme song of 'Sister, Sister": 'Callista SISTA!')

Sorry for the radio silence around here this week.  As you may have seen on Facebook (or otherwise suspected from the fact that I have been very pregnant for a while now), I pushed a whole person into this world recently and have been otherwise occupied.

For the first time ever in the history of producing new Van Voorsts, I did not wake up in labor.  I have always wondered what it would be like to have labor just kind of... start... on a day that was, in all other ways, normal.  Well, now I know.

The kids and I had all been battling head colds, so we stayed home from church Sunday morning and laid low the rest of the day.  I DID do my hair and makeup, though, since it was a 'pregnancy photo' day, which ended up paying off when I actually still had visible, non-janky eyebrows in my labor photos.  (My makeup-less eyebrows look like unevenly-cut-and-accidentally-bent pipe cleaners.  Or like two very differently sized caterpillars having a dance-off a respectful distance from one another.  Or...)



Around 8:30 p.m., I started feeling some regular, strong contractions, but I'd been having prodromal contractions for the past few months (ahhh, sixth pregnancy), so I wasn't ready to think anything of it until about 10:00 or 10:30, by which time they'd been coming steadily for a couple of hours, and getting closer and more intense.  We left for the hospital around midnight, but at 1:00 when they checked me, I was only dilated to about a 3 or 4.



I could tell labor was starting to move along really quickly and steadily, and asked for an epidural.  However, they wanted to wait an hour before checking me again, so they kept brushing me off and kept me in the triage room while they waited to determine whether I was actually in active labor.  By 2:00 when they checked me again, I was at a 6 or 7.  I had dilated nearly 4 cm in about an hour.  At that point, they were finally convinced I wasn't just being a liar or something and wheeled me into a labor room.

By the time I got into the labor room, all the nurses were scrambling, and I was pleading for someone to please find the freaking epidural guy.  A few minutes later and I was at the point of pushing, and they were all yelling at me not to push and I was like, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!  (Trying not to push when your body is dead set on it is like trying to not want to breathe when you've been under the water too long.  You look up through the water as you're desperately trying to paddle to the top, and watch the lifeguard mouth, "Just be reasonable and stop wanting to breathe for a sec, Drowning Guy.  I am not ready to save you yet. I have to put on my gloves first.")

The epidural guy finally got there after he finished eating his sandwich, or whatever he'd been doing, and in between huge, final contractions, he quickly administered a few big, "hail Mary" doses of spinal block, which kicked in just in time.  It was time to get this girl out.  After the pain meds took hold, I pushed once more, and she was here.






Callista Janelle shot into the world amidst a flurry of activity at 2:46 a.m.  She weighed in at a whopping 8 lb, 5 oz.  Her arrival was exhilarating and exhausting and completely her own story.  We are so very, very happy she's here!




2 comments :

Jessica said...

Congratulations! How beautiful!

Also - does Todd's shirt say "Fer the Church"?

todd said...

these "i'm not a robot" quizzes keep getting more and more difficult. you'd think having 6 kids was proof enough that i'm not, but evs.

you did awesome! as i said before, you are the grandest of multiparas.