Pages

"carving" "munkins."

So, like I've said before, almost every year since Todd's 27th birthday, we've carved pumpkins together as part of the birthday festivities.  Of the twelve birthdays we've celebrated together for him, there have only been one or two years that we've missed!  It's the first tradition we established as a couple, and it's been so fun to include the kids as our family has grown.

Obviously carving pumpkins with small kids around poses its own hazards: sharp carving tools + millions of curious fingers = new 'yearly trip to the ER' tradition.  So we decided instead to let the kids paint their pumpkins, while we still carve our own after the kids go to bed.

This year, I got the kids white pumpkins.  It wasn't really planned, it was just that I purchased our pumpkins on a grocery shopping trip, and I realized I wouldn't be able to fit seven huge, orange pumpkins PLUS groceries into the cart, so I opted to get Todd and myself orange ones, and got smaller white ones for the kids.  But it ended up being perfect for painting - no orange to compete or clash with the paint.  The white pumpkins look a million times better.  Lesson learned: get the white ones.







To prep for painting the pumpkins, I laid a big sheet outside, for a couple reasons: 1) our house gets very little natural light, so if we want photos to turn out well, we need to take them outside, and 2) to protect the pumpkins from getting leaves and junk stuck in the paint.

We don't have specific painting clothes for the kids.  I usually have them put an old jammy shirt on inside out, and then turn their pants inside out and call it good.  Even when I'm painting the walls in the house or something, I'm usually just wearing inside out normal-people-clothes, rather than dedicated painting clothes.  Then you just pull them off in such a way that they turn right-side-out again, trapping the paint inside, and throw them in the hamper.  Mess averted.

I mean, mess almost averted.



For the paint, I just put a few colors of tempera paint on a box lid and gave the kids generic craft paintbrushes to work with.  I don't like the sponge ones for pumpkin painting, so they used some bristle ones we had on hand.



Even Rocco got to paint his very first pumpkin!  He didn't really get super into it though, so after a few brushstrokes he was done-zo.  So Atticus finished his for him.




After that, everyone got baths (because doy) and the pumpkins got to sit outside and 'cure' overnight... in the rain.  They looked remarkably less glorious the next morning, but really, no one cares what they actually look like.  The real fun is in the actual painting, so no one got too upset to see their drippy, crackly pumpkins sitting all sad outside.  They're now sitting in front of our house, sadly greeting any and all who come visit us, and we're already looking forward to getting to do this again next year!

1 comment :

todd said...

I should have made a Trumpkin: orange and empty.