Pages

welcome to the jungle.

I've been trying (and trying and trying) to make this house feel like 'home' to me.  It still has a ways to go, but I've been trying.  This week, I brought the house plants inside from their summer out in the Missouri heat and humidity (which they LOVED - my potted orange tree is actually blossoming as we speak), and it has made a world of difference.

I don't know about you, but having something living in my living room makes me feel like living there, too.  And we've chosen not to have pets - nothing personal to pet-lovers; animals are super cute and cuddly and I love other people's pets to the moon and back.  But I already have enough hair and feces and piles of barf to deal with in my personal life; I don't need to invite more of that kind of drama.  So to enhance that 'living room' feel, I choose plants.

At last count, it would seem I have at least fifteen plants that I'm needing to find housing for now that summer's over.  This house doesn't currently offer reasonable decorative solutions for all of them, so some of them are kind of piled in the basement or our bedroom.  But still, I find myself thinking, "I need more plants in my life."  Because sometimes that spot on the piano needs a tiny-statured plant and I don't have one, or I have too many 'leafy' plants and need something with a more 'frond'-y feel.  I know you hear me on this and I'm not just a nutjob rubbing my hands together while whispering, plaaaaants plaaaaaaants all the plaaaaants.

All that to say, I'm glad my friends are back inside.  They make me feel like I can breathe a little easier...  and I mean that both literally and figuratively.  I bet my house has the best air quality, what with all of my chlorophyllic friends plus the two - count 'em, two - salt lamps that keep trying to reassure me that they're practicing their invisible voodoo on my air ions or whatever.  (I'm questionably convinced.)

So anyway.  If you want to pray that the plants procreate, or weave me a sisal rug for the living room while I'm sleeping to enhance the living room experience even further, I wouldn't be opposed.

3 comments :

todd said...

Paige VV – bringing the outdoors indoors since October, 2016

Hannah said...

Sounds refreshing! I would like to see a picture of your orange tree and some others. When I keep plants inside they usually die! So you aren't sure if the salt lamps were worth the investment yet? -Hannah

paige said...

Hannah, I'll post some pictures of the plants soon! I have kind of hit-or-miss luck with plants, too, but if you can find houseplants on sale, they can cost less than a bouquet of flowers... so if you can keep them alive at least as long as a bouquet of flowers, you're not out anything. ;) I got both my orange tree and my key lime plant at a yard sale for five bucks each, and they've shockingly been going strong for a few years now! I've found keeping them outside in the summer really helps.

As for the salt lamps, I'm honestly not sure. We don't have environmental allergies, which is what many people use them for, so I don't have a frame of reference for comparing 'before' and 'afters.' Although, we do have one in the boys' room, and it smells remarkably not-boyish, so maybe it is filtering some of the yuck out? Who knows. They're pretty, though!