Pages

the finer things club.

The last time I described our Friday morning Tea Time in a blog post, my friend Jeska commented that we have our very own Finer Things Club going down on a weekly basis.  So true!  (If you've seen The Office, you get the joke.  If you haven't seen The Office, what the heck are you doing reading my blog right now?! You have more important things you should be doing with your precious time.  Namely, binge-watching The Office.  Thank me later.)

Anyway, I snapped a few pictures of last week's Tea Time.  It's our weekly time where we study music and art.  What you can't see is that Dvorak's "Humoresque" is playing in the background, making us especially hoity toity.




We start Friday's art study by examining a piece by our current artist.  This term, we're studying Mary Cassatt.  We talk about what we notice in the painting - who/what is in the picture?  How are they framed/posed?  What are they doing?  What kind of colors do you see?  How does the painting make you feel?  Do you like it or not?  Why do you think he/she chose to paint this?  How is it similar to, or different than, other paintings we've looked at?  You know, uppity questions like that.





After that, I'll give them a little more time to examine the picture, then I close the book and ask them to 'narrate' to me what the painting is like - to describe it in as careful detail as possible.  Then we'll pull the book back out, and they'll sketch their own copy of the work.  They really get to know the painting well by the end of it!





And really, the best part of this whole endeavor is that, the entire time, they get to drink tea.  Ahem, I suppose I should clarify that it is, at best, half a mug full of honey with a splash of hot brown water.  This is how I get them all revved up for art study.  Honestly, they love it.  And so do I.  I admittedly know zipzerozilch about art (or artists), so Fridays hold a lot of appeal for me as well, since I'm learning - and drinking tea - right alongside them.


A very cheery "Cheers!" to Tea Time!

2 comments :

todd said...

what a bunch of "tea"totalers

the jersk. said...

the real question is if jim would be invited or not.