Pages

rocco's first haircut.

I always promised myself that I would never become one of those moms that gets too sentimental about baby hair.  Being too sentimental about baby hair is a surefire way to end up with a mulleted kid, or a baby boy with a flowing, foot-long mane.  No to the thanks.  It's just not worth it.

However.

Rocco is still a baby-baby.  Forget the fact that Atticus had his first haircut at four months.  Forget the fact that Rocco is now ten months old, and even starting to walk.  He's ancient by Van Voorst haircut standards.  Plus, he was in that stage of perpetual bedhead that is your first cue to bust out the scissors.  But still.  Forget all that.  He is still too little for a haircut.

Except that he's not.  And the back of his hair was getting grossly long and scraggly on his neck.  I hate that.  So I finally caved and let Todd cut his hair.  And he looks so much better for it.  Older, but better.

We started off outside, for two reasons: one, for easy cleanup, and two, for some natural light.  (Actually, it was mainly the second thing.  I have realized that, if I want photos of my kids' milestones while we're living here, they will have to take place outside if I don't want the photos to turn out all yellow and blurry.)  


Rocco clearly had a death wish.



The leaf was a safer choice, although less thrilling.






Half the stuff you try to do for babies is easier if they're laying down.  Keeps their head still and their arms somewhat immobilized.  That's a little mom tip from me to you: figure out ways to trap your kid in order to make your job easier.  You're welcome.






After Scissors Snippy Fun Time Yeah, we headed inside to the bathroom to finish up with the clippers.  Todd is seriously a black-belt barber.  (And a black belt in Tai Kwon Do.  I'm dead serious.  Don't believe me?  Challenge him to kick you in the sternum.  I dare you.)  Anyway, he does a really great job on the boys' hair, and it ended up looking way better once he busted out the clippers to kind of even out and blend the back of Rocco's hair.  Rocco didn't exactly love the clippers, but he didn't hate them either.  It seemed more like apathy, bordering on disdain, with a hint of curiosity.

And that is how our tiny man started growing up before my very eyes.  (Luckily for me, he's still in 3-6 month clothing, so I can still pretend he's just a tiny, bitty infant for a while longer.)

1 comment :

todd said...

Off to a rocky start. Ba dum dum chi :) thank you. I'll be here all week. Tip your waitress.