Pages

whut up or shut up.

This week has been a fun one... intense, but fun.

Last Friday marked our last day of swimming lessons for the season.  It was bittersweet.  I'm really (really really) glad to not have a standing daily appointment, but the kids sure loved it.  Plus, there are very few things cuter in this life than a scrawny kid in a swimsuit.  And I had the luxury of hanging out with four scrawny kids in swimsuits every morning for two weeks.  Pure bliss.






(There were too many photos to choose from, so you know I'm going to have to promise another post on this next week.  And you know that I'm 50% likely to follow through on that promise.)

Rocco is nine months old now, and he's totally rocking it.  Again, more on this to come.  Probably.  Most likely.




On Monday, we started back up with homeschool.  I know I'm basically a broken (and lying) record at this point, but this year is going to be different.  We are going to get things done.  We are going to do school.  We are!!  We are... We are?  (Are we?)




We are settling into a more normal routine, which I am so grateful for.  School is such an anchor for our days - the structure it offers makes everything else go so much more smoothly.  The kids are picking up their household duties again, which is a lifesaver for me, and with a schedule for the day, there is so much less dead time available for the kids to be picking at each other and getting into fights.  I always dread getting back into the groove of things after breaks or vacation, but then I'm always so relieved by the return to order.  At some point I'm going to need to remember that school saves my sanity.  school saves my sanity.  school saves my sanity.  Remind me of this in February when I'm ready to throw in the towel.

I need to bite the bullet and order school supplies for this year, but golly do I hate actually ordering anything online ever.  I don't know why, but pushing that "order" button is so scary to me.  It's paralyzing.  It feels so final.  I want to do it.  I need to do it.  I will do it.  Someday.  Not now.  For now, I will just use last year's books and pray the kids never graduate last year's grade level.  Just like all the good moms do.

Yesterday morning, I got to pick up my first Azure Standard order in ages and ages.  Man, I love ripping into those boxes and finding the random collection of food and household goods I've deemed necessary.  This month, it was 15 pounds of potatoes, three liters of olive oil, trace mineral drops, a borderline-concerning amount of sauerkraut and pickles, some laundry enzymes, and a five-pound block of cheese.  And the fact that this delivery stirs something deep inside me that makes me truly love my life is telling of something.  What, I'm not sure.  But something.

In other news, Penelope and Rocco are developing quite the relationship.  It basically consists of Penelope hauling him around to random places for no reason other than to haul him around to random places.  They both love it. 



In Missouri Wildlife News, we found a fascinating grasshopper on the houseplants that are still sitting in our driveway after the move.  We also found a blue-tailed skink (think: crazy neon lizard) in the driveway yesterday!  And Finneas found a molted cicada carcass/skin/thing... you guessed it, in the driveway.  Laurelai is less interested in the nature-y bits and most interested in the magnifying glass.



And this.  You guys.  This.  My first daughter just finished her first chapter book (the first Van Voorst child to do so), and look what it was.  We just sat together for a while yesterday, quietly reading our respective books.  I got up to run on the treadmill for a bit, and after my run and some yoga and a shower, I came upstairs and she was still reading.  She spent nearly three hours reading yesterday.  My heart could juss essplode.





And on that wonderful (wizard of oz) note, I'm headed out to officially wrap up our first week of homeschool for the year, and take a long, long nap.

2 comments :

todd said...

It was really fun hearing her tell the story back to us over dinner tonight!!!

Lissa said...

This seems like a strange place to start commenting, but I got here by chance through something of Lauren's I saw, and I just read this out loud to my husband and we both giggled because it's so true of me, too - the Azure comment and procrastinating with homeschool. I appreciate your writing!