Pages

so, it's not like i achieved world peace or anything, but...

I finished reading a book!

It may not seem like much of an accomplishment, but with all the unexpected craziness this year has brought us already, I haven't had a ton of time to read.  In January, I was super optimistic about the coming year's reading.  I had goals, people.  Realistic but optimistic goals.  At the beginning of February, I finished reading L'Abri by Edith Schaeffer*, the third book of the year.  And, well, dang.




Later in February, we decided to move to Columbia, and that book is partially to blame.  It was so challenging, and encouraging, and more challenging.  It's basically the memoir/autobiography/account of the ministry that Francis and Edith Schaeffer lived out after moving to Switzerland in response to God's call.  They listened to the Spirit of God.  They lived by faith and prayer.  God was and is moving in miraculous ways, and it was so evident in that book.  It challenged me to live more by prayer, and to be willing to hear God speak - and to respond to him with obedience and faith.

Well, then he called us to Columbia.  Nothing like an immediate quiz to see how I'd retained the reading material.  So for the next three months, life was consumed with All Things Moving (and All Things New Baby, since Rocco was only three months old when we decided to jump into this adventure), and all leisure time activities got put on the back burner.  Really, the back burner is a pretty generous descriptor - reading got put all the way behind the stove.

I'd started a few things: "Cure Tooth Decay," by Ramiel Nagel, "Walden" by Henry David Thoreau, and "Forgotten God" by Francis Chan were all in process, but little progress was being made.  So I finally sat down the other day and committed to finishing one of them (Cure Tooth Decay), and I'm proud to say I did it!

And there's only a 4+ month blackout period on my "2016 Books I've Read" list.  Sigh.  Oh well.  Sometimes I wish I had more time to read, but then I remind myself that my eternal life has already started, and there is no such thing as "not enough time."  I have nothing but time, and I'm glad it's currently being spent in kingdom building and child-raising and reading when I can.  I have the whole rest of my life to read.  And for now, finishing the fourth book of the year is an accomplishment, and I'm excited about it.

I have nothing but time.


*dang, y'all.  if you only read one book this year, make this it.  i can't exercise more peer pressure than i'm trying to exert now.  read it. love it. be transformed.  because, not to be a total cornball or anything, but you won't be the same after you finish it.  i guarantee.

3 comments :

todd said...

I'm glad you read this and glad God has us planting churches together!!! (again!!!)

the jersk. said...

I love how entirely different you and I are but how well we mesh. I used to love to read and now it's neither a priority or a hobby. idk how long it's been since I've read a book. five years? six? shrug. you are amazing. I love you and your awesomeness.

Lissa said...

I love your time comment! What a right perspective!