Pages

as it turns out, we're church planters.

Five years ago yesterday, we purchased our first house in Story City.  Three years ago today, we left that house to move to Cedar Falls to help plant Candeo.  And today, we find ourselves nearing our move date to leave Cedar Falls to help plant Anthem in Columbia.  That's a lot in five years.



If you would have asked me a few years ago if I could see us being church planters, I would have said absolutely not.  If you would have asked me last year if I thought we'd ever plant a church again, I'd have said absolutely not.  It's crazy what God can change in a short amount of time.

A friend recently asked me if we're planning on staying in Columbia for a while, and I've come to realize that I can't answer that question easily.  Would I love to put down roots somewhere, and fall in love with a city that we're able to call home for the long haul?  Absolutely.  But probably more than anything else we've learned in this process, we've learned to hold our plans with very open hands.  God has plans for us, even now, that we can't possibly imagine.  Maybe that means another church plant, maybe not; I don't know.  I just know that I don't want to miss out on what he has for us by trying to direct my own life.

I have no idea what our future will look like, and that's cool with me.  I'm not even a little worried about it now.  Because I've seen God move in ways I could not have imagined, and I wouldn't have known to ask for.  I didn't ever think this would be a life I'd want.  And it's true, it's definitely not always an easy life.  But I've seen God move.  I have seen God perform literal miracles.  I've seen God change me into a person I definitely wouldn't be if I was still safe and comfy at home in Story City.  And I wouldn't trade any of it for that trivial safety and comfort.

So I urge you now: if you feel God is calling you to something, jump into it.  Even if it wasn't in your plan.  It will cost something, but it will pay something bigger.  Just do it.  Just follow.  Just obey.  Trust him to take care of you, even when it's scary and seems hopeless.  Give up whatever you need to give up, just pick his life for you.

If you want to see God's hand move in huge, obvious ways in your life, it is as hard and as easy as that.  I've heard it said that if you follow Jesus at a safe distance, you will stay both safe and distant.   Ask him where he wants you to go, and then just follow, whatever the cost.  As much as I can tell from my own experience, you won't regret it.

1 comment :

todd said...

the best way to increase faith is to exercise faith by doing things that require God to show up. not just faith for faith's sake, but faith in Jesus to lead us.