Pages

more talk of more books.

Earlier this week, I posted the list of books I read in 2015.  This year, I'm trying something new: a list of books I intend to read.  

So far in my life, I've just kind of read whatever I've felt like reading at the time, which has worked out well.  But I've noticed that life has gotten much, much busier over the last year as we've gotten serious about homeschooling and as we have increased in number yet again.  So, I get very little time to read, and I want to make it count.  Not that I won't leave space for knee-jerk reading.  (You know how spring rolls around and you all of a sudden want to read the entire Little House series again, or dust off East of Eden because you're in love with it and it's been much too long since you said 'hello?')  But a lot of the reading I should be doing is not spur-of-the-moment-decision, feel-good reading.  So with that being said, here is my list of reading goals for 2016:

Education:

Educating the Wholehearted Child by Clay Clarkson

Towards a Philosophy of Education by Charlotte Mason

When You Rise Up: A Covenantal Approach to Homeschooling by R.C. Sproul, Jr.

The Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis


Family/Parenting:

The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson

The Mission-Minded Child by Ann Dunagan

The Hidden Art of Homemaking by Edith Schaeffer

Give them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus by Jessica Thompson and Elyse Fitzpatrick

Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp


Spiritual Growth:

Forgotten God by Francis Chan


Biography/Autobiography:

Martin Luther by Martin Marty

L'Abri by Edith Schaeffer


Fiction:

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling


As you can see, there's some room to add some titles without expecting too much of this season of life.  There are fifteen titles on this list; not too heavy if this is all I read this year - I can read 1-2 books per month and get a lot of variety.  But if I have more time to read than anticipated, I can easily pick up a book club pick or whatever without having to shove something else out of the way.  

You can also see that, unfortunately, it will have taken me two years to complete a second read-through of the Harry Potter series.  It just is what it is.  (And 'what it is' is 'a huge bummer,' but one has to learn to bear one's lot in life bravely and without complaint.)

Lastly, the other, not-Harry-Potter-related bummer is that there are no Great Books on here.  I'm hoping I get a little extra time to read at least one classic work of fiction.  Maybe I should just go ahead and find one or two and add them to the list, because I really should... we'll see.

Anyway.  That is that.  We'll see if I stay the course - I don't often do super well with big picture goals, as opposed to flying by the seat of my pants.  Oh, yes, in the detailed minutiae of day-to-day life and living, I'm regimented and altogether no fun.  But I definitely have a devil-may-care approach to setting and meeting long-term goals.  So maybe in the grand scheme of things, that spontaneity makes me more fun?  Well, I'm about to try to fix that... er, you know what I mean.

1 comment :

todd said...

yeah, time to get serious about having more fun