Pages

rocco's birth: part two.

read part 1 here.

When we got to the hospital, it was about 8:00 and I was dilated to 5 or 6.  Contractions immediately got stronger and harder to deal with, which is to be expected because laboring in the hospital is the. worst.  

At home, the only real 'job' taking place is birthing a baby.  There is respect.  There is quiet.  There is space to just labor how you need to.  But at a hospital, you have to be upright to get in the door, and upright to change into their gowns.  You have to answer all kinds of admission information and medical history questions in between contractions.  You are strapped into all the monitors.  There are crazy bright lights everywhere, and when you're contracting, there are still a million outside conversations taking place between the staff about whatever it is they talk about.  I hate laboring in the hospital.  In case you didn't catch that.

ANYWAY.  I labored for a while before getting an epidural, and I started getting 'the labor shakes.'  I don't know if that's what they're called, but I got them with Penelope, and they reared their ugly head again this time.  I don't know why, but something about the labor hormones cause like a constant seizure or something.  Unpleasant.  After the epidural kicked in, my midwife broke my water and with the next contraction, I started feeling the urge to push.  

Even with the epidural, I could feel quite a bit of what was happening, and I suspect now it was because he ended up being so big.  It was kind of nice being able to feel my own contractions - with Atticus' epidural, I had to be told when I was contracting and when to push and when to stop pushing, there was absolutely no sensation whatsoever.  But it was also like, oh wow, labor, you know?

While pushing, Rocco's heart rate dropped, and they put me on oxygen, which kind of freaked me out, and with the final push, the tenor of the staff changed.  They were going to have me reach down and feel him as he came out, but instead they started cleaning him off and suctioning him.  He'd passed meconium during labor, which can be really dangerous if it's aspirated into their lungs.  But he started crying right away, which was a really great sign, and once they'd cleaned his face off and his mouth out, they put him on my chest and it was all over.





And with that, our tiny (huge) Rocco made his entrance into the world.



I was blessed to have my sister take photos throughout the evening, so I'll post some of them next week.  In the meantime, take a listen to the hymn we chose to be Rocco's.

3 comments :

todd said...

through Thy free goodness, my spirits revive,
And He that first made me, still keeps me alive.

the jersk. said...

😭😭😭 so precious. hi lil brudder. love you.

mommakris38 said...

Big babies are awesome! I had one that exact same birth weight. She slept through the night at 10 days old and every night after. Well, except for booger filled nights, or ear infection, but she was a trooper steeping. Her big tummy stayed full longer. May God bless you and Rocco with the big baby sleep...he is absolutely beautiful with his big baby cheeks....I'm in love from your pictures. If you ever need a babysitter in Ames, your kids can come hang out with me. We have fun stuff to do and lots of rooms run. Lots of your people know me, so you can have me fully vetted...congrats on lil big man