Pages

it's like book club and you get to be oprah.

i'm just going to be honest, here: i started this blog post like fourteen bajillion times (actually, four.  it's the same.) but i can't think of anything interesting to write about.  not a blessed thing.  i've hit a blogger's block.

so, you get to be the blogger for the day: tell me what i should read next.  or sometime.  right now i'm in the middle of east of eden, which is my favorite book of all time and if you haven't read it you're either blissfully ignorant of what you're missing out on, or you're probably some kind of criminal.  so that's what i vote you should read next. and then read to kill a mockingbird, because you're going to need an awesome chaser when you're done with east of eden.

your turn: any suggestions for me?  (i'm in the mood for fiction or autobiography/journals.)

also, what's your opinion of the harry potter books? i know i'm basically the aforementioned criminal for neither having read any of these nor watched any of the movies, but you know me: i'm wild and crazy and unconventional.  but seriously: have you read them? are they really as good as everybody says?

GO!

6 comments :

todd said...

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy, by Eric Metaxas

Catch 22 by Jospeh Heller

Heather said...

you need to get on goodreads, lady. you can rate stuff you've read and then get recommendations based on what you like, or you can check out what your friends have read and liked and try something new.

www.goodreads.com

do it.

anyway... harry potter - 4 thumbs up (i'm borrowing west's b/c i know he'll agree with me in about ten years). you'll be surprised, i think, by how good the writing is and how rich the stories are.

to kill a mocking bird is my 2nd favorite ever - the color purple is 1st (which I highly recommend if you haven't read it yet).

find me on goodreads and then we can swap recommendations!

todd - i have that bonhoeffer book on my kindle but haven't dug into it yet. i'm a little afraid of it.

Danielle said...

LOOVED BonHoeffer. I've been getting into historical fiction and memoirs lately, especially from WWII. So Unspoken is incredible, Escape from Sobibor is so sad, War Brides was super intriguing.

I held out again the Harry Potter books for the longest time. No particular reason other than I didn't think I would like it. I was wrong... They were great! I'm reluctant to say it because I still find it odd that a 27 year old would read teenage fiction, but they were good. I'd read them if I were you.

paige said...

heather - i LOVED the color purple! i lent out my copy and never got it back, though, so i haven't read it in quite a few years. you've persuaded me that i'll have to get a new copy.

whenjeskasparks said...

have you ever read redeeming love by ...francis something or something?
it's SO good. i mean, you start out reading it thinking it's gonna be so lame but it's totally not. changes my heart every single time i read it.

i still love the five people you meet in heaven but that's 'cause i'm a sucker for things that bum me out. (who knew, right?) but it doesn't stay a downer, so all in all it's a good read.

ooh, and it's really tiny but i LOVED the spirit of truth by art katz and paul volk. it's like my second favorite book behind knowledge of the holy by a.w. tozer. always the tiny books pack the biggest theological punch.

The Crislers said...

Oh, jeez. I'm limiting myself to two recommendations, or I'll go on forever and ever. And ever.

Favorite new-to-me books I've read within the last year? A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell (WWII historical fiction) and The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (fantasy). Both so, so good.

I re-read the Harry Potter series every fall because I love them so much. I think of them as one entity, and it's on my Top 5 Favorite Books Of All Time.

Jeska, I'm pretty sure you're talking about Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers, and I completely second your review. You go in thinking LAME. HOKEY. BLAH. But then it's not. Like, at all.

Yes, Goodreads! You know, with all that spare time you have right now!