Pages

someone call my mom, i have an unexcused absence.

on an unrelated-to-the-rest-of-this-post note, the woman at my high school who was in charge of calling my mom when i had an unexcused absence was named sharon barron.  funny, yes.

anyway, on to the original point of this post.  i apologize for my lack of activity around here lately, as i do realize to what extent you all take life-sustaining nourishment from my blog.  it's like mother's milk, really, not to be gross or anything.  which, ironically, leads to my excuse for why i've been gone...

at penelope's four month appointment, she weighed in at 10 pounds 13 ounces...which is in the fourth percentile.  she was ITTY BITTY. (all the nurses kept thinking she was there for her two-month.)  i have friends who weighed more at birth.  it turns out i wasn't making enough milk to keep her growing.

so now i find myself nursing her, feeding her a bottle of stored milk, then pumping to increase the demand on my body.  and all this is highly time consuming.

and while i would love to honestly say that i love my breast pump as much as the woman in the picture apparently loves hers, getting all giddy just sliding that backpack-fulla-goodies from it's storage place behind the couch and entering a near-euphoria every time i hear the chug-CHUG of the motor...um, well, i apparently don't have what it takes to be that girl.  it has been a rough couple of weeks.  (although atticus does love my breast pump and loves to pretend to use the shields.  not kidding....it's a little unnerving to see him try to hook up his belly button to the pump.)

in the meantime, i have started feeding her a little rice cereal and homemade applesauce, hoping it will fill her tummy a bit more.  she had a weigh-in (yes, like the wrestler that she is) the other morning and she's gained 13 ounces in the last 10 days, which is great.  however, she'll have another weigh-in next week before they can issue her her singlet...here's to hoping she gets to jump up to the next weight class.

3 comments :

The Grout Family said...

I hope Little Penelope is able to 'pack on the pounds'! Strummer also enjoys taking the shields and putting them up on his chest - a little weird :P

BTW - how are you making homemade applesauce? I would love to do homemade applesauce! :o)

The Grout Family said...

thanks for the recipe!! i try and make everything else, so may as well try and make applesauce! my grandma used to make the BEST! i have a sleepy-wrap....i LOVE it! it's the handiest thing every! :o)

Danielle said...

lol I love Atticus! Crazy belly button...