Pages

iowans in the sea, that is what we are...

hold up, wait a minute, put a little break in it.

i know i told you that you would get to hear the "behind the music: butter and baking soda" story this time, but it seems something more time-sensitive has come our way.  no worries, our regularly scheduled programming will resume soon.  however, it seems our town is flooded and, ironically, simultaneously out of water. 

yes, that's the pizza hut under water.  what good is a flood if you don't have pizza to enjoy it with? this flood officially sucks.

anyway,  because of all the water, something at the water treatment plant broke and now our drinking water has been labeled persona non grata.  so we get to pull a ma ingalls and boil all of our water before using it for most things: cooking, drinking, bathing, brushing our teeth, washing our dishes, washing our hands.  we're also not supposed to flush our toilets...presumably because it'll all wind up back by pizza hut.  mmmmmm.  the best part? they're projecting it could be like this for the next week.  not sure how i'm supposed to go about not flushing my toilets for a week...

already i have boiled COUNTLESS numbers of pots of water...i had no idea how much water we use! luckily we can still wash our clothes in the normal stuff because if we had to wait a week to wash our cloth diapers, the whole building would probably need to evacuate.  and lord love the ingalls family and "living off the land" and all those other things i pine for, but i refuse to wash my kid's crap pants with my hands.  maybe i'm a bad mom, i don't know.  but i'm a mom without fecal matter all over my hands, and that's okay with me. 

i have been using whatever i can get my hands on to store boiled water in: my dutch oven, our pitchers, my coffee pot, and old ice cream buckets. (note to anyone who cares: wait for water to cool completely before putting it in plastic, for melting and chemical reasons.) this morning i got a little impatient, put my too-hot water in my beautiful glass salad bowl too soon, and the whole thing shattered.  or really, exploded.  i was covered in boiling water, there were glass shards EVERYWHERE, and the whole stinking pot of water that i had spent time boiling was all over the floor.  luckily atticus was contained in his high chair at the time.  but i'm out a wedding present and a whole pot of water and some thigh skin.

anyway.  long post.  stay tuned and i'll give you helpful tips on how to live like a pioneer...who has access to contained electricity.  roughin' it.

4 comments :

YAYA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
YAYA said...

Who'da thunk... beachfront property in downtown Iowa. Where's my sunscreen!

apotratz said...

Thankfully Andrew was able to secure a large cooler of water from camp for us to use! I regret waiting all week to do my dishes and then realizing last night that I desperately needed to do them! I had to boil lots of water to get those done.

jared said...

I can't help but think that the worst tap water in Ames right now is still better than the well water I had growing up. :-)